Need input for the ultimate pack in rifle (IMO)

tjonh2001

i am haveing Nathan at SSG build me a new 30 caliber light weight hunting rifle. this gun will be used for my packing in on hunts. i want to shoot 210 bergers and or 200 accubonds as i shoot these brands in my other long range guns. i will use this gun for hunting deer,elk,bear, moose and sheep. I am confident that i will want to shoot 1000 or more. as long as i can hold steady with this light of a gun.

---here is what we have---

Remington trued action mag. bolt face
jewell trigger
ABS 26in carbonfiber varmate contour-due end of month
titanium muzzle break
lone wolf summit stock-on order
Nightforce 2.5x10.32 -need to order
total weight just over 7 with scope

i am sparing nothing for this gun any input would be great. i am thinking of chambering this in a 300RUM.what caliber do you guys think? i am wondering what you guys think for the hunting that i am going to do. i am also wondering if you guys know what the barrel life i can expect?would you do anything different?

Last edited:
That should be a serious hammer. I like light rifles, but they are a lot tougher to shoot at long range than heavy rifles. I'm not familiar with the stock you have selected, but for a light rifle, I'd have the bipod as far forward as possible.

I think the 300RUM would make the ultimate packing rifle caliber for long range.

AJ

Really good choice on the Lone Wolf. I have 2 and have another on order. What I like is I can get a bigger stock similiar to an A5 that weights only 2lb.
300RUM will be perfect.

For a lightweight packing rifle I would go 300wsm or 300 wby without the break. If you truely want a light packing rifle then either one would let you drop the break. This will drop a few ounces from the rifle, also depending on which break you get/have you will likely need hearing protection, another thing to pack along. It depends on your type of packing...how far/how much elevation/trip length...That being said I fell for the 300rum too, but mine is too heavy for a packing rifle in my neck of the woods.

I think you will be able to reach out a grand with a 300rum, I am just getting started on the over 600 yard paper punching with mine, and it seems to like 200gr accubonds with 95.5gr of retumbo, rem brass, cci mag primer. I use a rubbermaid bin container full of dry news paper to test penetration, and the penetration is pretty good at 600 yards, but I haven't had a chance to try it at a 1000 yet. I managed a 5 shot 9.5 inch group last weekend at a grand, but I am sure I can tighten that up with some time...

It sounds like you will have a very nice light longrange rig when you are done. Going to post the pics when she's ready?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts