Need info on Nosler Accubond 200 grain

elkhntr

Has anyone tried Noslers accubond 200 grain bullet for long range hunting? I am having a hard time getting Berger 190 vlds to group out of my 300 win mag. So I am thinking about using the accubond. I can get consistent 1" groups at 200 yd at 3080 fps. However I cannot get or find what the G7 BC for this bullet is to use in my ballistic program. I called Nosler and I was told that you have to maintain a minimum of 1800 fps to get full expansion. I do not expect to shoot at game (elk)beyond 800 yd. Velocities are very different at 800 yd using G1 verses G7 BC. I have read the book applied ballistic but it gives no formula to get the drag coaficient in order to get the form factor in order to compute the G7 BC. Any info or comments appreciated.

I use this bullet in a couple of 300 rums and have shot them out to 1000 yards. I am using exbal and using the bc's it pulls through program options. i am not sure that helped any if you are not using exbal. the bullets shoot great though and it matches the drop exbal gives me.

Has anyone tried Noslers accubond 200 grain bullet for long range hunting? I am having a hard time getting Berger 190 vlds to group out of my 300 win mag. So I am thinking about using the accubond. I can get consistent 1" groups at 200 yd at 3080 fps. However I cannot get or find what the G7 BC for this bullet is to use in my ballistic program. I called Nosler and I was told that you have to maintain a minimum of 1800 fps to get full expansion. I do not expect to shoot at game (elk)beyond 800 yd. Velocities are very different at 800 yd using G1 verses G7 BC. I have read the book applied ballistic but it gives no formula to get the drag coaficient in order to get the form factor in order to compute the G7 BC. Any info or comments appreciated.

I tried to find a thread for you, but was not able. One of the members here, Goodgrouper entered a very detailed thread about a Cow Elk he shot at 900+ yards with a Browning 300WM, & using the 200 Accubond. I believe the load had a little less MV than your load. I bet Len could help you find that thread.

Is the 3080 MV with the 200Acc ? If so, which components, powder, primer , brass? I am asking because I am looking at trying that bullet this spring. Oh, what barrel length?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The ballistics program i use is KAC Bullet flight level 2, version3.1.o Im new at this so there is alot to learn. My rifle is a Sako L61r long action with a Lija 26" SS fluted brl .700 at the musl. Right now I load win. brass, fed 215 primers, Reloader 22, 75 grains. To get the bergers to shoot I may try rotumbo mag powder. The best I could get with rl22 at 200 yd was 1.38-1.50 in groups

I shoot the 200 nab out of a 325, elk out to 600,did not find bullet.Did shot one in the shoulder, threw blade at about 75 yards, recovered bullet, cant remeber but I THINK about 70% or less.

I use JBM's program. If you have Litz's book you will see he gives lower G1 and G7 BCs for Nosler's accubond/ballistic tips bullets. I did some calculations and came out with a .273 G7 for the 200 gr Accubond. I shot for groups at 300 M and 500 M and the comeups matched. It would be a good starting point for you. Try that BC value and then make adjustments for your rifle.

I would suggest you use your chronograph during your testing. Some velocity loss or gain will change your comeups and will have you stratching your head IF you are using the wrong velocity input for your program.

I use JBM's program. If you have Litz's book you will see he gives lower G1 and G7 BCs for Nosler's accubond/ballistic tips bullets. I did some calculations and came out with a .273 G7 for the 200 gr Accubond. I shot for groups at 300 M and 500 M and the comeups matched. It would be a good starting point for you. Try that BC value and then make adjustments for your rifle.

I would suggest you use your chronograph during your testing. Some velocity loss or gain will change your comeups and will have you stratching your head IF you are using the wrong velocity input for your program.

Good info! Concerning the vel. loss or gain, I am going more & more to the less temperature sen. powders for that reason, to at least help that somewhat.

I have had very good luck with the 200 AB in my 300 rum and 30/378.

BCs are very important for long range but Overall performance is more important to me.

As to the BC formulas, I have not found any bullet that works well with the G1 profile at
long range but the G7 formula is very close if you use the correct BC.

You don't have to have the highest BC to have a good performing bullet and the difference
in the "actual" drop Is very small at distance.

If you use the SMK posted BCs (G1) they don't fare very well, but as we all know they are
very accurate at long range. so my point is find a bullet that performs well and shoot at
several distances (200 and 600yards) and with velocities and actual trajectories you can
compute the real BC of your bullet and It will work very well with your ballistic program.

The 200 grain Accubond is a very good bullet and will serve you well.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I can't tell you how it performs at the kind of ranges often mentioned here. I have used it on game from point blank-to something over 400 yds. I've shot mt goat, pronghorn, deer, and elk. I had plans to use it on big canadian black bear and grizzly, but blew my back out on the mt goat part of the hunt. they have always opened-always penetrated, and I have yet to recover one, and devastating wound channels. I use it in my 30-06 muzzle velocity 2600fps, and my old .300 H&H at 2900fps. It's become the only bullet I use in my .30 calibers. Opens like a ballistic tip and penetrates as well as the 200 partition. hope that helps.gun)

Last edited:
Gentlemen
Thankyou all for your valuable input. It certainly gives me a place to start. I will be headed to the range this weekend. Temps will be 25-35 degrees here in montana. I figure do your practice and loading in the temps that you hunt in. Gives true data about your loads particularly vol. loss. I have heard that Rotumbo Mag powder is less sensitive to temps than Rl22. Anyone have knowledge of this to be true??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.