Need help

Aussie_hunter

Im getting a new rifle I'm tossing up between a .270 or a .300 win mag and I wanna now what's a good long range scope i don't really want to cheap out on it but at the same time I don't need to be crippled financialy. So any advice, mainly advice on magnificaction. Any help would be great thanks

what is your definition of "crippled financialy" everyones definition is diffrent?

what is your minimum and maximum range you intend to shoot?

As soon as I sent that message I knew I should of put a price, $2000 max but I'm thinking of a Leupold which is around $1200. I'm looking at about a 500 to 700 yards maybe further. Iv been shooting/hunting for going on 20 years. But iv finally decided to try some long range so any info on optics and anything else would be great

.300 WM, as there is a better selection of long range bullets available. Recoil is mild enough to allow you to enjoy using it without having to hang on for grim death. And you will deliver more killing energy way out yonder. I enjoy my .270's too but the .300 WM will outperform them at longer distances.
For hunting, it's worth a look at different brands of european scopes as their superior optics are invaluable in poor light. Prices are very reasonable at the moment.

in your price range i would be looking at the nightforce nsx. the leupold would be a long ways down my list

Just to put things into perspective, I've taken a crow at over 300 yards with a scope set at its top end of 7X. I would say 14X would be plenty for 500 or even 700 yards. In fact for 500 yard shots, I'm quite sure I'd be happy with 10X.

In regards to scopes, if $2,000 isn't going to cripple you financially, you have a bunch of choices. I have a couple of Nightforce scopes, a bunch of Leupold Mark 4 scopes (several with illuminated reticles), a Swarovski, a Zeiss Conquest and others that all cost me much less than that. I find myself liking the Leupold Mark 4 scopes the most and I've bought most of mine used for less than $1,000. I see no downside to buying a used Leupold scope since Leupold will give you prompt and good warranty service if you scope breaks even if you bought it used.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.