Need help with 'Tactical' Scope Rail/Rings

Thor

I've just bought two new Savage 111's with the grey/black laminated stocks, left hand Long Actions in 270 Win and 300 Win Mag. The 270 Win will be a medium range deer rifle (to 500 yds). 300 WM will become a Long Range Project. I've mounted the Leupold 1 piece base to both temporarily. Not sure I like the Leupold base, though. The 270 Win has a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 x 36 with the B&C Reticle and Leupold STD 1" rings. No scope on the 300 WM. Destined for a Leupold Mark 4, though.

I'd like to put a Picatinny-style rail base on both. I'd be interested in some thoughts from those of you that have these. Pros/Cons of various manufacturers. I've heard Badger Ordnance may be hard to beat but expensive. Leupold has the Mark 4 Tactical Rail. Ken Farrell has one. I came across the Millett while doing a Midway USA browse. These run $40-$150 so I realize it may not be 'comparing apples to apples'.

I'd also like some thoughts on the various scope rings available. I don't mind spending a bit since something like that should last. Here's a penny for your thoughts.... wait, where'd that darn penny go.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited:
I was in your same boat. I also wanted a picatinny rail but they seemed pretty expensive for a simpe rail design. I ended up going with the Warne picatinny rail with a 20moa slope. I aslo used the leupold permenant weaver rings. they are awesome! they are super strong and look a lil tactical but very fitting on a long range hunting rig. My gunsmith put bigger base screws in and also "pinned" the base to the action with a stainless pin. since its a 10 pound 300 rum i didnt want it moving on me when hunting.

As for the pros of this type of rail, they make the action stiffer and offer more scope placement options. and of course the cool factor!

the cons, depending on the make you get, they seem to be taller than most mounts which will raise your scope possibly loosing your cheek weld. I have also noticed it is difficult to get your hand into the action from the left side if you need to clear brass from the action while sitting at the bench. just a minor inconvinence. good luck!

Ran an additional site search for Seekins, Farrell and Badger and found the info I was looking for. Thanks for the names, guys.

Spoke with Glen Seekins on the phone. Very nice guy but he was backed up on orders and didn't know when he'd be able to make one. Apparently the Savage Left Hand action is like a custom run and requires 'reversing' some of the CNC programming.

The Farrell rail is interchangable on the right and left hand actions. Ordered the Farrell 10 MOA steel rail and matched rings for the 270 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts