Need help with scope for 25.06

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by BlackSS, Feb 19, 2010.

1. BlackSS

BlackSS Well-Known Member

I am purchasing a heavy barrel 25.06 for medium sized game, target, and some varmint and need help picking an optics setup.
    On the top of my list currently is:
    Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5 x 16 42mm tactical
    Any reason to avoid this scope?
    Any other tactical type scope in this price range that is a better option?
    This scope (~$750) is the most I will spend, so suggestions for a $1500 scope won't help me much.

Suggestions for rings and a base are also welcome. :)

2. BlackSS

Also considering the Zeiss 4.5 x 14 MC tactical
    I like the 2.5 on the Bushnell if quality is close between the two...

3. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

I don't know about better, but certainly in the same class is the Clearidge Ultra XP5 from the optics zone.

Chris

4. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

i own many scopes, from nforce/ior/swski/leupold/burrins/nikon, etc. and many old style redfields and B&L. To tell the truth, the last 3 scopes I've bought have been Nikon Monarchs and Burris XTR. They have the best glass, resoulution, repeatability, and windae/elev. adjustment of all of'em. Don't misunderstand me, if I were intending to take a bullet thru the scope, I'd prob'ly use the nforce or US optic, BUT i don't use these in a combat situation, so don't go for the inflated price. The Nikon, Burris, and VX3" are extremely good to 800 meters, both target, steel gongs, and hunting.

5. BlackSS

I have seen a lot of positive reviews on the Nikons, and the Burris XTR looks promising also.
    Is there a Nikon Monarch with tall turrets that you would recommend? They all look to have the low profile turrets from what I have seen.

6. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

look at the monarch X riflescopes, I use the 2.5x10x44 on a 25-06 now. Mine is the older "tactical" line, now called Monarch "X" but same scopes.
    I will use the 4-16x50 on new .308 pdog shooter I'm building now.

7. BlackSS

I just happened to stumble across that very line. I originally was planning on Nikon, but couldn't find the tall turrets so I moved on, I did not see this line of scope until just now.
    They look to be a little bit more expensive, maybe I can find a good deal somewhere.
    The 4 x 16 is the one I would get.

8. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

I would go with the Zeiss because of the clarity, proven performance and normally more moa per revolution than others. I have two conquests in 6.5-20x50 and they are great scopes. I'm not saying that some others may not be as good?.......Rich