Need Help with McM A-5 Stock Color

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by smrkovsky, Sep 13, 2008.

1. smrkovsky

smrkovsky Member

Well I'm trying to make a decision that is gonna affect me for many years. The color of my new McMillan A-5 stock. At first I was going to go with 80% black 20% grey, but now I'm thinking about 80/20 black/OD green with duracoated metal. The stock has been on order for about 2 months now, and I'm probably running out of time to make any changes. If any of yall have a stock, McMillan or not, in any color combination that you could post that would help me decide, I would really appreciated it.
    Thanks.

Oh by the way, the new rifle is a 338 EDGE w/ a 30 " Hart barrel, & a Nightforce 5.5x 22 NP R-1 scope. gun)

Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I forget the color make up but it was built bt Joe Starns of Long Shot Percision in Conrad Mt. If you lie it I will get the info from Joe or maybe he will chime in here.

Jeff

[​IMG]

4. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

Gotta have a little green in there;)

5. AJ Peacock

I wrestled with the decision, and was going to go with green. But finally decided on a straight black/white/grey to match all the dark metal.

I like your stock, if you find out what mixture you had them make for it, let us all know.

AJ

6. smrkovsky

smrkovsky Member

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for your info. I think im gonna go with 80/20 black and OD green. I'll post pics as soon as I get the rifle complete, which will be probably middle of January. Damn, 5 month wait list.

7. smrkovsky

smrkovsky Member

Peacock,
    I was wondering why you used 4 rings, instead of just the normal 2. Added insurance?, strength? I've seen that before but never asked why.
    Thanks

8. AJ Peacock

Kirby was seeing about 1/4MOA vertical when he first put my rifle together. It took him a while to figure out, but the rings where moving a couple thousandths forward and back on the Picattiny rail. So he added 2 more rings, so 2 are at the front of the slots and 2 are at the rear. The 338AM has a bit of a bark, and with that huge muzzle brake, the recoil is a back and forth motion that is tough on scope mounting components. I can't complain, as the recoil is really gentle and with better than 7000lbs of KE at the muzzle, a non-existant recoil is simply amazing.

I've thought about taking it apart and trying to shim it so I could get rid of 2 of the rings (and use them elsewhere), but it shoots so well I can't force myself to touch it :D

AJ

9. Bush Man

Bush Man Member

Come on guys post more pictures of your McMillian stocks. I want to see all the color combination's!

10. coloradoultramag

coloradoultramag Well-Known Member

I sure like the look of the mcmillian stocks. But I got to ask what makes them so nice and populer? Are they more acurate, stiffer, tuffer .etc...

sorry if I hijacked, Gabe

11. AJ Peacock

Yes, you get what you pay for. I've heard the same good praises for the Manners stock though, in fact any of the hi-dollar tactical stocks are good.

AJ

12. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Check out the link in my sig here. we have about 75 of the stocks in house right now. we have a mix of lots of color combinations as well as the standard issue camo patterns. all of our's are inletted for either the short or long Rem 700 action.

take a look, you might see one you like and be able to avoid the 6 month or more wait, if nothing else you might see something that gives you a idea

have a good un
    steve

13. Bush Man

Bush Man Member

I have a Manners stock and I do love it. But it would be nice to have some color in it. Mines flat black, I wished they offered it in more types of gloss colors.

14. VSSF

VSSF Well-Known Member

Here's my Edge (Nightforce comes Friday) it's 60% Black 20%OD 20%Brown.
    [​IMG]