Need help with 6.5x284

demarpaint

Hi and thanks in advance,

I had my 6.5x284 to the range today in preparation for 1K F-Class. It has a 30" 5C Broughton Barrel 8 twist. It is amazingly accurate. I am shooting Danzec Coated 142 gr SMK bullets using 51.5 gr of 4831 SC.

My velocity is averaging 2780 fps, which is a little slow. Reading I see that 2950 seems to be the magic number for 1000 yards. I was going to try 53 grains and check for pressure signs and work up to 2950 from there. There are no signs of pressure with the current load and at 100 yards it is amazingly accurate.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
FD

FD

I'm not familiar with the Danzec coating but will assume its supposed to reduce friction like moly, which also means a little less pressure thus less velocity.

If it were me I'd work up .3 grs at a time to find max pressure and see if I could find an accurate load around there.

I realize every barrel is different but Broughtons have a reputation for being a little faster than average and 2780 out of a 30"er seems really slow to me, I get 2920-2980 with a variety of 140 gr bullets(no moly) out of a 26" Rock barrel.

Chris

I think I can safely push the load to 53 grains maybe a little more. I am thinking now that H 4350 might be a better choice in powder.

It shoots great with the present load, but I think the wind bucking ability out to 1K at the present speed will stink.

Frank D

Try-VHIT-N165;-my-6.5x284-loved-that-stuff.-I-got-3000-fps
with-the-142grn-MK-using-52.5-grns-of-N-165.-My-barrel-was
a-28"-Hart-with-a-1-8.5-twist.-I-would-try-the-139grn-Lapua
Scenars-too.-I-switched-to-those-after-I-shot-them.-They
have-a-higher-BC-then-the-142-MK's;and-I-shot-better-groups
with-them.

Like Winmagman said the only thing I can think is the coating is bringing pressure and FPS down. I shoot a 28" Broughton and your load in mine ran 2900+

With that coating I would work up and look for pressure you may be able to run higher.

I Know Tim North was using R-22 so I gave it a try and it shot so good I left it alone. My load never made it as high as his about 3 grains under but I also dont know if he uses coated bullets.

I think I know why he said to use R-22, It seem a little tough on throats. I've chased the lands over 100 thou and know the Barrel grave yard is in sight:) The new barrel is sitting underr the bench waiting.

H-4350 worked well also 22 just gave the best speed and accuracy in mine I run it at 2950fps I had a 3040 FPS load that was the best but brass cost too much for that load!!

Have you ran it over a 2nd crony just to check it?

h4350

i had luck with the hogdon powders, 48.9 of H4350 gives me 2933 ft/s with my 26 inches shilen and that was my competition load with nosler cchpbt 140 gr. cloverleafs all day.

lapua brass and cci br2.

start low.

Joe

QuickLoad isn't within my reach this hour, but your load must be way off for a cartridge of that capacity..Does it fill the case?

I run 3025fps using WS2 coated Lapua139s from a 28" barrel, using 47.4gr IMR4350 in a 26wssm. I'm sure this is relatively slow for a full case of powder. But I'm happy with my best accuracy and brass life there.

You have quite a bit more capacity, so with the right load you can get quite a bit more out of it. That I'm sure of.

There is no magic number to it. Accuracy is what matters and your ability to read the wind. In a 10 mph cross wind a velosity difference of 100 fps. will mean a drift difference of apx. 5 in. at 1000 yrds. a difference of 5 mph 1/2 way to the target will be far more.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.