Need help understanding scope MOA

Doe

I'm alittle confuse here guys. Correct me if i'm wrong, lets say a scope has a 1/4"moa at 100 yards per click ,so that mean if i wanted to move the poi 1" up i would have to turn the up nob 4 cliks right?, so does that mean at 200 yards it 1/2" per click? and at 300yards it 3/4" per click or am i reading it total wrong!!

I'm alittle confuse here guys. Correct me if i'm wrong, lets say a scope has a 1/4"moa at 100 yards per click ,so that mean if i wanted to move the poi 1" up i would have to turn the up nob 4 cliks right?, so does that mean at 200 yards it 1/2" per click? and at 300yards it 3/4" per click or am i reading it total wrong!!
Yes, 1 moa is pretty close to 1". Are you sure your adjustments are 1/4? Its not mils is it or 1/8moa.What kinda scope?

bogger, he is not saying "his" scope is 1/4 min click, he is saying that using a 1/4 min per click scope as an example.

Doe, yup, you got it.

It's a BURRIS Fullfield II with BP and it say 1/4moa per click so that .25 inch per click at 100 yards right? and at 200 yards .5"per click right?? and at 300 yards it .75" per click and so on right??

Whats going on? Is it not working or you were not sure? I had a leupold that would go up when I moved it down and vise versa. and had to beat on it to get to actually move.

Just remember that 1/4 MOA is not exactally 1/4" at 100 yards. It is very close and for close range purposes makes no difference. However when dealing with say 100 clicks over a long range, using the 1/4 MOA to 1/4" rule will cause a pretty significant miss.

Example:

Say your drop at 1000 yards is 300". You take 300/((.25*(1000/100))= 120 clicks.

1/4 MOA click is really a .26175" 100 yard click. Redo the math and you will find that you really need 115 clicks and NOT 120 clicks. What is the difference between 5 clicks at 1K? About 12.5" which is a clean miss.

One of the best policies when using a MOA scope is to use MOA drops and MOA clicks for drop corrections.

M

Whats going on? Is it not working or you were not sure? I had a leupold that would go up when I moved it down and vise versa. and had to beat on it to get to actually move.
Naw! just trying to understand the math. Is there a good formula that i can take with me out in the field, so i can use my turrets to take me out to 1000yards if it's 1/4moa per click with a 100yard zero??

Last edited:
You can find some ballistic programs on the net (JBM) or order exbal or something and determine drop. Then you have to do some real world shooting to fine tune.

Doe,

Here is a formula that I found and has helped me. It will give the MOA you need to dope the scope and also give the number of clicks.

First, we know that 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1 inch. 1 MOA at 200 is 2 inches, 1 MOA at 300 is 3 inches and so on. If you know the distance to your target and the drop of your bullet, you take the drop of your bullet, in inches, at a known distance divde that by the yards in MOA. That will give you MOA in come up. Then you can muliply that by 4 (if your scope is 1/4 a click) and get how many clicks come up.

Example: You have a target at 300 yards. Your bullets drops 12 inches at 300 yards. You take 12 divde it by 3, because 3 inches at 300 yards is 3 MOA. You get 4 MOA come up on your scope. Now times that by 4 and you get 16 clicks of come up on your scope because your scope has 1/4 inch clicks.

Example equation looks like this: 12 (inches of bullet drop) divde by 3 (MOA at 300 yards)gives you 4 MOA scope come up. Times 4 and number of clicks on your scope.

I always just did the guessing thing before I found this formula. I started using this last year when I would groundhog hunt. Shot a groundhog at 324 yards with my scope sighted in a 100 yards. Used the formula to dail scope in and put the crosshairs right between the eyes and that equaled one less groundhog.

I hope this helps you. If not, that's all right.

Jason gun)

Doe,

Here is a formula that I found and has helped me. It will give the MOA you need to dope the scope and also give the number of clicks.

First, we know that 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1 inch. 1 MOA at 200 is 2 inches, 1 MOA at 300 is 3 inches and so on. If you know the distance to your target and the drop of your bullet, you take the drop of your bullet, in inches, at a known distance divde that by the yards in MOA. That will give you MOA in come up. Then you can muliply that by 4 (if your scope is 1/4 a click) and get how many clicks come up.

Example: You have a target at 300 yards. Your bullets drops 12 inches at 300 yards. You take 12 divde it by 3, because 3 inches at 300 yards is 3 MOA. You get 4 MOA come up on your scope. Now times that by 4 and you get 16 clicks of come up on your scope because your scope has 1/4 inch clicks.

Example equation looks like this: 12 (inches of bullet drop) divde by 3 (MOA at 300 yards)gives you 4 MOA scope come up. Times 4 and number of clicks on your scope.

I always just did the guessing thing before I found this formula. I started using this last year when I would groundhog hunt. Shot a groundhog at 324 yards with my scope sighted in a 100 yards. Used the formula to dail scope in and put the crosshairs right between the eyes and that equaled one less groundhog.

I hope this helps you. If not, that's all right.

Jason gun)

Jason, that is a very simple method to understand.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.