Need help selecting a scope for savage 12 .308

timotheius

I just bought a Savage 12 .308 and need help selecting a scope for it. I have experience with Nikon prostaff and monarch scopes, but know those don't cut it for the longer range applications. I am new to long range shooting and don't really know where I should start looking. Any recommendations on a good scope in the range of around $1,000? What power should I look for if I want to shoot 500 yards or longer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Tim

Well if you're going to shoot over 500 yards I would recommend the Weaver t-36 or a night Force 12 x 42 x 56 . Might as well be able to see what you're going to shoot at and the bullet holes you're going to put in it.

Do you own a Vortex Viper PST? Do you like them? How do they compare with a Leupold VX3 or Mark 4?

I own a PST, and hove owned Nikon Buckmasters...The PST is a much better scope...I haven't owned Leupolds, was a die hard Nikon user until I got my PST....I really don't see myself buying another scope...except maybe another Viper or a Razor when I get around to my 300 build

Hey,

I plan to work some jobs this summer and make some money, this is what I am going to do: I am going to get a savage in .308 (no decision yet) and top it with a nikon m-.308 scope.

The scope is made for the AR/AR-10 platform, but the bdc is specificly for the .308 win caliber. It should hold close if not true.

Here is the link:M-308 4-16x42 BDC 800 from Nikon

The M308 is not a "long range" scope. With only 40 min total elevation travel that gives only 20up or 20 down give or take a bit to zero in the first place. So the M308 is a scope you mount on a zero degree rail and it will top out around 700 yards max. Otherwise one is looking for 10 minute rails and the like - unusual stuff.

Any decent scope should have at LEAST 60 MOA of travel and the Vortex scopes have 75 (the PST have 75 elev and 75 windage).

A good option if you are on a tight budget is the Viper HS in "long range" edition with a capped windage turret, open elevation turret and SFP "Dead hold" reticle for $550 at opticsplanet Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x44 Long Range Scope w/ Dead-Hold BDC Reticle FREE S&H VHS-4305-LR. Vortex Viper Rifle Scopes, Vortex Rifle Scopes.

opplanet-vortex-viper-4-16x44-scope-front.jpg

sub_vpr_hs_s_4-16x50_bdc_moa.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.