need help picking a caliber

jlane709

hi i am new to lrh and i was hoping some of would be able to help me choose a caliber for the howa m1500 varminter with the knoxx axiom stock. i have been looking at the .300 win mag and the 7mm rem mag, and have shown a little interest in the 30-06. i am going to use it for hunting. i live in oregon so i mostly hunt deer and elk but i have also hunted bear and shot at them for that matter so i want something big enough to bring one down. i will be doing some target shooting and varmint hunting as well. cost of ammo is not an issue. i would love to hear from anyone who has advice for me, and if anyone has anything to say about the knoxx axiom stock would be appreciated as well thanks.

If I was going to hunt grizzly and had the 3 choices of cartridges you have listed, I would choose the .300 Win Mag. I would rather be over-gunned hunting varmints than under-gunned hunting grizzly.

+1...

justgotoRe: need help picking a caliber
If I was going to hunt grizzly and had the 3 choices of cartridges you have listed, I would choose the .300 Win Mag. I would rather be over-gunned hunting varmints than under-gunned hunting grizzly

Of the three I would go with the 300 mag. Personly im waiting in a 338 edge but that a bit big for coyotes. with the 300 I would say you are going to have the biggest selection on bullets my second choice would be the 7mm rem but that just my two two cents.

I don't think that a 30-06 is a long range elk gun, they have their place and work well but I think most folks around here would say that it runs out of steam a little too soon to suit them.

Both the 300WM and 7mm RM are good long range calibers for what you suggest but for my money, the 300WM kicks a little too much to enjoy an afternoon of shooting unless you're going to put a muzzle break on it and then if you're going to muzzle break it you should maybe consider a 338 because with a good muzzle break on it, one of the larger 338s can still be very comfortable to shoot.

Therefore, the outstanding advice of somebody about 2% as competent as the competent folks around here suggest a 7mmRM. The recoil isn't unpleasant, the high BC bullet selection is fantastic, I get 100 rounds to the pound, and the number of elk, bears, and deer that can vouch to it's effectiveness are ever-increasing. gun)

I know that it isnt optimal for us, but one caliber cannot do it all. So If your gonna be going for more elk and bear, I would go bigger, 7mm being on the light end and a .338 being my choice. If your going for more varmint and deer, hard to beat the 25-06. For just deer, the 7mm. I personally shoot a .338 rum and find the big .338's very versitile in my neck of the woods (B.C interior). I personally am not a fan of axiom stocks but each to his own. Just my $.02.

Get the 300 Win. Mag.

I load 130 Barnes TTSX at 3550 fps. for coyotes, hogs, whitetails, etc. and 168 Barnes TTSX at 3150 for Elk and mule deer and you could load 180's for heavier critters. Very versatile caliber.

-X3M

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.