Need help on DBM

twoftagl

Hey all, I'm putting a McMillan A-3 stock on a my 700 (LA, hinged floorplate) and need some experienced help on the magazine. New at all this so please excuse the newbie questions. Rifle is a 700 5r in 300wm, new A-3 will be inletted to fit. There's several designs out there, and just can't seem to figure out what the differences are...Wyatt, HS, Badger, etc....or can I throw a cheepie Remington in and use those mags or whichever ones are compatible?

My biggest concern is a Quality setup that won't rattle around. Second is the largest Cartridge OAL I can get. Third, I'd like one that has a 3-round flush-mount for easy carry when in and out of the brush.

My main questions are:

What is the difference between the HS gen1 and gen2?
Are there any to stay away from?
Who has had a certain brand in 300WM that either works or is garbage?
Which setup will let me run those Berger VLDs out as far as possible?
Why do the Badgers cost $150 more than everything else for trigger guard/floorplate?

Thanks for your help!!

Chris

Hey all, I'm putting a McMillan A-3 stock on a my 700 (LA, hinged floorplate) and need some experienced help on the magazine. New at all this so please excuse the newbie questions. Rifle is a 700 5r in 300wm, new A-3 will be inletted to fit. There's several designs out there, and just can't seem to figure out what the differences are...Wyatt, HS, Badger, etc....or can I throw a cheepie Remington in and use those mags or whichever ones are compatible?

My biggest concern is a Quality setup that won't rattle around. Second is the largest Cartridge OAL I can get. Third, I'd like one that has a 3-round flush-mount for easy carry when in and out of the brush.

My main questions are:

What is the difference between the HS gen1 and gen2?
Are there any to stay away from?
Who has had a certain brand in 300WM that either works or is garbage?
Which setup will let me run those Berger VLDs out as far as possible?
Why do the Badgers cost $150 more than everything else for trigger guard/floorplate?

Thanks for your help!!

Chris
Badger stuff is all considerably higher than the competition because it's built in the US and works right every time and is built tough as hell.

If you have the budget, go ahead and get the Badger if for no other reason than the fact it adds considerably to the resale value if you ever choose to sell the rifle.

Any of the three however should work for your VLD's.

The Remington factory DBM set up works ok, but three rounds is your limit with magnum calibers and replacement/extra mag's are expensive as hell. I think all three of the others will also allow you longer Max Overall catridge length than the Remington Factory Mag's.

Before you decide talk to McMillan and ask them what they recommend since you are getting it from them.

Badger Ord equipment is really good stuff (made in SD), BUT, unless something different has come about, they are running AICS magazines. Top tier mags with EXTREMELY short COAL restrictions (ask me how I know:rolleyes:).

I am running an HS DBM on my L/A 6-284, much longer than an AICS & doesn't have that fugly tongue depressor mag release. (I don't care how well they work, they look terrible).

Did I mention the H-S locks up tighter than any AICS system i've seen? I can't tell you what the difference between Gen 1 & Gen 2 is, sorry 'bout that.

Both are really good quality, but for a hunting style/ purpose built rifle, it is a very easy decision, H-S Precision all the way.

Outlaw: PM sent

Thanks, everybody, for the help. I kinda thought the same thing about the mag release on the Badgers, esp. if I'm looking for a flush-mount mag as well. If the HS will do fine, I'll probably go with one of them.

Appreciate anybody's input with a Magazine on their 300WM

Chris

Outlaw: PM sent

Thanks, everybody, for the help. I kinda thought the same thing about the mag release on the Badgers, esp. if I'm looking for a flush-mount mag as well. If the HS will do fine, I'll probably go with one of them.

Appreciate anybody's input with a Magazine on their 300WM

Chris

Glad I could help Chris. I hope no one thinks I'm bashing the AICS setup because I run that too in my 338RUM. If a fella is looking for a flush mount solid locking setup it IS H-S all the way.

Post some pics for us brother!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts