Need help mounting new scope to Rugger M77 mkII

Cramer06

Hey guys,

I bought a Ruger M77 mkII 7mm mag from my Uncle last year. He let me borrow the scope that was on it to get me through deer season. I got a new scope for it (Leupold VXII 4-12x40)(old scope VXII 3-9x40). The new scope contacts the barrel in the front.

Now, the Rugger M77 mkII has unique rings that mount directly to the action. I'm assuming the rings on there now are "medium" height? Does anyone know how to confirm this? I found new "high" rings through CTD, but I don't want to order until I'm sure they will work. Thanks

My buddy has this rifle with a vortex viper with a 50mm bell. He runs a high in he front and an extra high in the back. I would think with a 40mm you could get by with a medium in the front and a high in the back.

It depends on the brand you use. Leupold "low" seems to be lower than Ruger "low". Leupold "low" did not fit on my M77 with the 3x9x40 VX-II. I would go with at least medium.

CO Shooter-Does he get away from a 20 MOA rail by using the 2 different size rings?

If that works, that is a smart idea. I am having the same problem and running out of elevation.

Call Ruger Customer Service. They are very helpful. I had a similar question last year about my old model M 77. They told me exactly what I needed for the particular scope application that I was contemplating and gave me the part #.

Customer Service - Newport, NH
Service inquires for Shotguns, Revolvers, 22 Charger Pistols
and all Rifles except PC4/PC9 Carbines.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Customer Service Department

411 Sunapee Street
Newport, NH 03773
Telephone: 603-865-2442 / Fax: 603-863-6165
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST)

I had a similar problem with my Mod. 77 MK II. I called Ruger and they told me to send the rings back to them and they sent me the correct rings free of charge.

joseph

My buddy has this rifle with a vortex viper with a 50mm bell. He runs a high in he front and an extra high in the back. I would think with a 40mm you could get by with a medium in the front and a high in the back.

Sorry I call bullcrap...It is impossible. He would never get solid contact. 2 items of different heights with flat tops on a single plane will never match up properly and flat with a straight line connecting them.

Why do you think they make raised and angled bases instead of people just using 2 different height rings.....

Sorry I call bullcrap...It is impossible. He would never get solid contact. 2 items of different heights with flat tops on a single plane will never match up properly and flat with a straight line connecting them.

Why do you think they make raised and angled bases instead of people just using 2 different height rings.....

I guess I should have been clearer about the type of rings! Ruger Manufacturing!

This is from Shopruger.com

Ruger Scope Rings are packaged and sold individually. All available scope ring sizes for this firearm are shown in the table below, all shown in a finish designed to match this firearm. Once you select a ring size, you will have the opportunity to choose another finish if you desire. Please review the table carefully to ensure you are ordering the correct size ring.

Step 2: Select the Scope Ring Size.
Scope Tube Diameter Scope Objective Diameter Scope Height Front Scope Ring Rear Scope Ring
1 Inch 32MM Low 3B 4B
1 Inch 42MM Medium 4B 5B
1 Inch 52MM High 5B 6B
30MM 42MM 30MM Medium 4B30 5B30
30Mm 52MM 30MM High 5B30 6B30
1 Inch Offset. 42MM Offset Medium 4BO* 5B

Key: 3-Low Ring, 4-Medium Ring, 5-High Ring, 6-Extra High Ring.

Red Type: Indicates Rings shipped with firearm at original purchase.
* Indicates Offset Rings which feature one or two rings (single, double) that are offset to the rear by 1/2" to allow rearward positioning of the scope.

If you have questions about scope rings for your rifle or revolver, contact the New Hampshire Customer Service Department at 603-865-2442. For questions about pistol or PC carbine rifle scope rings, contact the Arizona Customer Service Department at 928-778-6555. You can also click here to download the Ruger Scope Ring Charts which may help answer your questions as well.

http://shopruger.com/images/517.jpg

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7JKQJoUgQ"]Ruger M77 Scope Mounting - YouTube[/ame]

Dude, I have 2 Ruger M77 MKII rifles (tang safety models). So yes, I know what you're talking about. But it's still not possible. The scope would never seat, unless the rings had been reamed at a downward angle, which would be next to impossible of that have happened.

I'm sorry, it still just doesn't make sense. It's basic geometry that a line sittin on top of 2 other flat-top blocks of different heights that are attached at the bottom on a single plane, that the line will be canted at an angle, and will not be properly seated (touching flat and evenly) to the blocks.

I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna remove one of my scopes just to prove this point. Any idiot who's EVER mounted a scope could tell you that, unless the rings have been milled to be mounted on an angle, it just ain't happening without some damage to something somewhere...

Dude, I have 2 Ruger M77 MKII rifles (tang safety models). So yes, I know what you're talking about. But it's still not possible. The scope would never seat, unless the rings had been reamed at a downward angle, which would be next to impossible of that have happened.

I'm sorry, it still just doesn't make sense. It's basic geometry that a line sittin on top of 2 other flat-top blocks of different heights that are attached at the bottom on a single plane, that the line will be canted at an angle, and will not be properly seated (touching flat and evenly) to the blocks.

I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna remove one of my scopes just to prove this point. Any idiot who's EVER mounted a scope could tell you that, unless the rings have been milled to be mounted on an angle, it just ain't happening without some damage to something somewhere...

So why does ruger call for two different rings?

You got me on that one.....Forgot the Ruger action has 2 different heights built into it. No clue why the hell they ever did that, other than stupidity and trying to be different to have their own proprietary rings.

It's been about 12 years since I installed a set of rings on a Ruger 77.

That's my bad. I'm not too proud to admit when I make an error. I was thinking the action was the same height on them, like it is on the Remingtons and Weatherbys, since those were the most recent guns I've mounted scopes to.

The mounting locations of the rings are not the same height.

First, sorry for screwing up your thread.

Yes, I remember this now, after I had already posted twice......I knew that I was in the wrong, but it didn't hit me until it was too late. I started thinking back and then remembered that I had do that with my 2 Rugers. I haven't messed with them much in the last 5-6 years. They pretty much sit in the safe and collect dust, being that they are a big & little brother pair of the hard to find (these days) skeleton stocked stainless 77's. The full-size is a 7mm Rem Mag, and the little one is a Mountain Rifle model in 7mm-08. Had the 7mm-08 since new about 13 years ago, and bought the 7mm RemMag about 2 years later.

Guess I should wait until after lunch next time to make sure I was fully awake...I'm not a mornin person, and for some reason I was in a combative mood this morning. Guess I'll have to rethink next time before i post.

No prob. I'm guilty of being wrong a time or two, myself. Mine is the stainless/black skeleton stock. Growing more fond of that gun everyday. Looks cool and shoots great.