Need help making a .338 purchase decision.

i'm new here ....but not new to the long range game.......338 is a load to schlepp around and jock up to just punch a hole in north american game.....don'tcha think???

savvy the .300winmag......accurate, and plenty of slap and bullet selection for the hand rollers.....

being a free range hunter myself.....them sticks get a tad tiresome and heavy.

there is no glory in a 33 caliber hole vs. a 30....the throphy animal won't know the difference

overkill is over rated

i'm new here ....but not new to the long range game.......338 is a load to schlepp around and jock up to just punch a hole in north american game.....don'tcha think???

savvy the .300winmag......accurate, and plenty of slap and bullet selection for the hand rollers.....

there is no glory in a 33 caliber hole vs. a 30....the throphy animal won't know the difference

overkill is over rated

Welcome to LRH and I concur on all accounts! :cool:

Tank

overkill is over rated

In no way am I trying to be a smart ***, but the whopping .03" diffrence between the .308 dia and .338 isnt why people, including myself use a .338. It is because it carries its energy and velocity farther, meaning bullets will reliably expand at greater distances. It is also nice to have a little more muscle in Bear country. Ok... maybe there is a little more glory in shoot the .338.:D

Now in all seriousness the .338's and .308's are both great for different applications. Either way, I think that if I were to have a custom built I would start by looking at Kirby Allen(allen Prrecision), Shawn Carlock(Defensive Edge), Jim See(CenterShot Rifles), or Nate Dagley(SSS gunsmithing) to do the job. probably whoever is closest or has the fastest shipping time.

I have not overlooked the AR-30. I've compared that gun side by side with AI .338 AW, and the SAKO TRG-42. The reason I have originally sort of narrowed it down to the AI and SAKO is that "out of the box" precision seems to be better on AI and SAKO.
There are things that I know a lot about. Long range shooting and hunting is NOT one of those things. I don't know enough about long range guns to have a pre-conceived idea of what's good. I'm glad you've brought the AR-30 into this. What was the longest distance you've shot it? What was the MOA?

I have not had as much experiance with the .338 caliber as a lot of folks here. Only 3 diff .338's have been on my bench and that I have loaded for....none of them mine. BUT...one of them was an AR-30. It was the most accurate of the three.....one custom Lapua, and an Accumark in 338-378.

It's 30 - 40 three shot group ave. was well under 1 MOA for all loads tested, and the final load was right around 1/2 MOA.

AWSOME!!

I have not shot my AR30 past a thousand yet...I will remedy that when I get back in states....If I do my part it shoots sub MOA....the rifle with scope and sling is just over 14 lbs. I stay in shape being in Military so carrying it is no problem...mainly to stand and back with Ebrlestock carry case( these are very nice ) I have shot Military matches with M14 out to a 1000 and have seen rounds not penetrate wood target frame at this distance on many occassions...338 gives a huge margain of error on game and men. I (IMO) would never attempt a shot on a game animal past 600 with a 308, will the 308 kill past that range ? yes, but under less than ideal, which is most hunting situations...get more gun...

I had your dilemma because my son keeps sneaking off w/my 340 WM. Solution, had a 338 Norma built.

overkill is over rated

In no way am I trying to be a smart ***, but the whopping .03" diffrence between the .308 dia and .338 isnt why people, including myself use a .338. It is because it carries its energy and velocity farther, meaning bullets will reliably expand at greater distances. It is also nice to have a little more muscle in Bear country. Ok... maybe there is a little more glory in shoot the .338.:D

Now in all seriousness the .338's and .308's are both great for different applications. Either way, I think that if I were to have a custom built I would start by looking at Kirby Allen(allen Prrecision), Shawn Carlock(Defensive Edge), Jim See(CenterShot Rifles), or Nate Dagley(SSS gunsmithing) to do the job. probably whoever is closest or has the fastest shipping time.

OMG ........me thinks this fellow is not out to tip over brinks trucks......a well placed .300wm round will plant any north american game animal....and i would think it ill advised to be doping a real long shot on a bear.....of course if $6.00 to $7.00 a pull and getting a hernia for your gun bearer is the call of the day....then who am i to argue with the idle rich.....

Well guys I don't have much but, I have a WM ACCMark .340 that is just what I need for easy 500-800yd shots. Which is more than enough for South Carolina so I mostly use my 300wsmgun)

My 338 NM is 8 3/4 #'s, and new brass reloads cost me $2.64 a pull, if I get 10 reloads, then it is not much over a $1 bone, not bad for that type of performance, but I live in the heart of grizz and now wolf country and elk are my gamegun)

Like drt4lfe, I also have an AR30. I really like it and have used it for hunting. I am over 50 and in so- so shape, so it does get heavy. I have taken mule deer, elk and oryx with it. It really shines for oryx here in NM, which are hunted in open country at long range and are extremely tough. My rifle has dropped 4, all with one shot. The first animal I took with it was over 700 yards, and I am no expert shooter.

I have carried the gun many miles a day and it does get to be a load on a sling, but it can be done. That said, I most often leave it in the truck when hunting mulies and elk, and only pull it out if I intend to hunt a big overlook. Mostly I run around with my 7MM. For the price the AR 30 has worked great for me, but I would not want one for short shots in timber back east...

IMO...its an individual decision that has to be made by the person behind the weapon. Someone who is confident and capable with even a 25 caliber is going to make more one shot kills than somebody who is shooting a '6000 whizbang' that scares them to death every time they lock the action.

Just my 2cents...for what its worth

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts