need help finding a stock for ruger 77

garrett'sdad

i have an old heavy barrel model 77 ruger in 243 cal that has the slide type safety on the middle of the stock - not sure if this is the tang type or not but from what i gather this is not a mkII - anyhow i think its a long action and this gun shoots great so if a new stock will hurt the accuracy i will rethink this decision - it has the wood stock with the red type pad on it so its old - i would like some type of varmint style stock that i can mount a bipod on and maybe even with a thumbhole unless its going to be 500.00 lol - anyhow i cant find exactly what i am looking for and if i did see something i liked im not sure if it would work for this gun since it has the heavy barrel and the slide safety - if anyone can help me out here i sure would appreciate it thanks

garret's dad
Take a look here stocks they have several styles and make them for several ruger actions. These aren't finished stocks but you might be able to find what you need and finish it yourself.
Chris

Might want to check Boyds Put one on My 243 Ruger tang safty after the new barrel was installed.It rides the bags well and does almost as good off the bipod.
Your 243 is most likely a short action and the stock would be a non MKII.
170788.JPG

218433.JPG

fellas i just want ya to know i appreciate the help and some fella i talked to at boyds has me a stock on the way - it was that easy and the stock looks exactly like the one in the pic there - tell me did you pillar bed or glass bed the stock or did you just clean the wood up and put the rifle in it and torque it down and shoot or is it going to be a job getting stock ready and also did it make a positive effect on your rifle and im not talking about looks either lol

The factory sporter stock fit the action very well!All I did was hog out the barrel channel for the new heavier barrel.The Boyds come with a sporter barrel channel that I hoged out to but had to relieve a little of the stock so action would fit in.The job was done in a hury getting ready for a doggin trip and the Brownells glass bedding I had left was a little lumpy.I have not yet but will pillar bed it as that is the only way I have found to keep a Ruger shooting consistant.
Anyway the action shot to the same point of aim when I was done putting it into the Boyds stock so it must have workt,at least as good as the factory stock that had served me well for dang near 20 years and the only reason I replaced the factory stock was cosmetic.
Thanks for asking as I will install the pillars and redo the bedding so it stays shoot good!

293435.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.