Need help deciding on a cal or rifle for first build

hunter516

Hey guys any info would help alot and would be greatly appreciated. Im new to long range shooting but not to hunting and would like to get some suggestions on a rifle or caliber for my first build. I currently hunt deer with a win. model 70 in 7mm mag and another mdl 70 in 270 wsm but would like to build a rifle. Would the mdl 70 be ok or would i need anothe rifle to start with? I would like a 300 wm or a 300 rum but if one of the rifles i have would work i would be ok with that. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have tried out a few rifles in the 30 cal catagory like the 300 wm and rum and have shot a few bigger rifles like the 338 wm and lapua so i have kind of an idea what i want but would love more incite from more experienced people

Hey guys any info would help alot and would be greatly appreciated. Im new to long range shooting but not to hunting and would like to get some suggestions on a rifle or caliber for my first build. I currently hunt deer with a win. model 70 in 7mm mag and another mdl 70 in 270 wsm but would like to build a rifle. Would the mdl 70 be ok or would i need anothe rifle to start with? I would like a 300 wm or a 300 rum but if one of the rifles i have would work i would be ok with that. Any suggestions? Thanks

did you shoot them at long range? how did they work??

I have shot the 7mm out to 400 yards and the best i could get it to do was 5.5". The wsm was a little better a 400 with 5 shots in a 4.5" group but that is without reloading for either one so i know i can get them to do better. The more i research the more im thinking of building the 7mm but i cant decide. Im hoping for a 1000 yard rifle but i dont know if im expecting too much from the model 70 action

it is not the action . it is the barrel . national champions use the model 70 and model 700 among others.

Good. I was thinking of getting the action trued and adding a stock. What barrel would you suggest? Or would a 300 rum be better to start with. Would the 7mm rem mag have enough energy at say 1000 yards for deer and hogs with a 168 grain berger hybrid?

i like heavier . if 11 is good 14 is better and 18 is best . took the sendeo bighorn hunting. i like a 7mag or 300win. the rum is more than i need.

Thats kinda where i am. I know i dont need a 300 rum but i dont want to have any worry about having enough gun if the buck of a lifetime steps out at 1000 yards. I have access to everything i need to reload for my 7 mag exept bullets and powder.

I don't think your limitation is your action. Your limitations are that you are shooting factory ammo through factory barrels. Before you go dumping a lot of money into a custom rifle, you really should start handloading.

My advice is to get a good single stage press, a good beam scale, a basic lathe style case trimmer, three or four reloading manuals, and dies for both rifles. Be selective about your reloading components and buy them in quantities you can afford when they are available.

Glass bed your rifles in their respective stocks, making sure to free float the barrels, and put decent glass on them with plenty of internal adjustment. Once you have developed good loads for your rifles, shoot them until you have worn out the factory barrels.

When it's time to hang new barrels on them, then decide if you want to go with a different chambering. By that time, you should have the skill to exploit the accuracy of a custom barrel and increased ballistic potential from going with something more powerful.

You can focus on pouring money into a custom rifle if you want to, and there is nothing wrong with that if that is truly what you want, or you can focus on improving the nut behind the trigger. I believe that putting your time and money into honing your skills as a rifleman and handloader will pay bigger dividends in the long run.

I plan on starting reloading soon for the 7mm. The wsm was a gift from my grandfather before he died so it will stay factory as long as i have it. Where can i find instructions on bedding a stock? I know how to free float th barrel but no clue on how to bed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts