Need help counting clicks.

What kind of scope do you have? Does it measure in MOA or MIL?
If so how many MOA/Mills per turn?

I'd suggest a scope w/ target turrets. That way you don't ever count clicks, just look up and crank it over for MOA.

The scope I have is a Viper 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with a Custom turret that is very accurate, but only goes to 900 yds. on the second revolution. The problem is that they will not let me shoot unless I can prove that I will be on paper with the first shot(?). They don't want people guessing and shooting into the next county.

joseph

That scope comes in MRAD and MOA.

Not much help :/

What's the longest shot you've made? Weather at the even will also come into play, but I understand you're trying to get on paper.

You might want to start from a bench at 100 yards and get a large poster sized target with a target dot near the bottom and draw a vertical line coming up a good 30+ inches using a plumb bob or level to make it exactly straight up and down.

Then based on your expected come-ups, shoot each 100 yd come-up until you get to at least the necessary MOA for your expected 1,000 yds. ...and, then back down to zero.

At your projected 1,000 yd come-up, you may also want to shoot/verify your expected windage adjustments right and left for 10mph wind based on your bullet's BC.

All that should help accomplish 2 things. (1) you can measure/verify the MOA/click adustments of your scope, and (2) verify that your reticle is straight up and down and that your POI doesn't begin to arc to the right or left.

I'm not sure how much dope you already have on your rifle at various ranges. But, just because the ballistics program says one thing doesn't mean it's exactly right for your rifle.

Hence, all this won't guarantee that you'll be on paper at 1,000yds. You still need to shoot your way out to 1,000yds in 100-200 yard increments or you'll get very frustrated.

Hope this helps!
richard

That scope comes in MRAD and MOA.

Not much help :/

What's the longest shot you've made? Weather at the even will also come into play, but I understand you're trying to get on paper.

Above I stated my scope is MOA. In Wyoming I shot out to 1200 yds, but did not right down the clicks (my bad).

joseph

Joseph,

Setting the zero at 1,000yds is something I'm unfamiliar with. So, I re-ran your drop table using NFBal and the Berger 105 Hunting VLD with a G1 BC of .532 (G7=.272) using a 100yd zero and came up with a similar result calling for +29.00 MOA Elev adjustment to be on target at 1,000yds.

If you have 1/4" clicks, then multiply 29x4=116 clicks. It also helps if you know how many clicks/MOA you get per revolution. Then, you only have to count clicks after the last full turn.

Good luck!
Richard

Most MOA scopes are 1/4 so I'd agree w/ the poster above me. My Mark 4 is 1MOA per click, but that's kinda rare.

Joseph,

Did Vortex only label your turret to 900 or are you saying you're running out of adjustment at 1000? I'm just trying to get a better picture of exactly what you're trying to do. If you're running out of adjustment you could always get a 20 MOA base, but I doubt that's what you're saying. I would think that Vortex would label the turret for as far as you wanted.

But anyways, as mentioned before, I think if you got a real tall target and used a level to make a straight line vertical and horizontal, that would help you figure out exactly how many clicks you need. Because if you have no holes to show where you hit, then you have no way to improve, which I think is what you've already found out.

Scott

Joseph,

Did Vortex only label your turret to 900 or are you saying you're running out of adjustment at 1000? I'm just trying to get a better picture of exactly what you're trying to do. If you're running out of adjustment you could always get a 20 MOA base, but I doubt that's what you're saying. I would think that Vortex would label the turret for as far as you wanted.

But anyways, as mentioned before, I think if you got a real tall target and used a level to make a straight line vertical and horizontal, that would help you figure out exactly how many clicks you need. Because if you have no holes to show where you hit, then you have no way to improve, which I think is what you've already found out.

Scott

I have my scope on a 20 MOA rail so I am able to turn my turret at least 140 clicks past my zero of 200 yds. I just counted 48 clicks in one revolution.

I am shooting a 6mm Norma BR. which is very accurate, but drops like a rock. The turret maker only went 2 revolutions which only got me to 900 yds. I haven't shot on paper past 400 yds. only gongs out to 1,200 and didn't record my clicks out that far and the elevation was about 4,000 feet higher in altitude from what I had my turret made.

I am planning to set up an eight foot target at 200 yds. this coming weekend to try what rscott5028 has suggested.

Here is the target which was the first time I tested my custom turret at 400 yds to see if I was going to be on the paper. To say the least I was very happy.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

48 clicks is 12 moa on a 1/4 moa scale. If your at 2920fps with a 100yd zero your drop at 1000yds is 28.6MOA Your turrets are 12 moa so 2 turns won't make it you need to go to the 3rd turn if you can. If not you need to get a 20-30moa base. This will make your zero in the lower half of the reticle rangeWhen you get the 28.6 moa dialed in you just past the center of your scale this is a very good thing for resolution as the closer to the center yo can keep your reticle the better.
If your going to shoot to 1k alot get the 20 moa base. if you plan to shoot 300-600 look for a 10 moa base or the burris xtreme rings with the shims. Build into your mount of your scope as close to the normal shooting distance so when you come up from your zero your reticle is close to the center and you will have the best results consistently

Based on the revised chart and assumptions... 200yd zero, 1/4 MOA clicks, 48 clicks per revolution...

Come up 2 full revolutions (24 MOA) and add 13 clicks to get to 27.25 MOA.

You need to have the best possible data plugged in and be confident of your cold bore shot. They should mark that sighter for you and then you would want to make one adjustment for elevation and windage to get in the X ring. If your second sighter is off, then you're screwed as to why it's not right where you expected. After that, you want to get off your whole string while the conditions (wind) are consistent.

If you can't practice to 1k in advance, you want to have as much dope as possible as far out as possible to confirm the BC and MV of your ammo.

Disclaimer: I've never competed F-Class. But, I've practiced a little at home and read a lot. There are some good books and some serious competitors in this forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.