Need help choosing a side arm

I have to say that sleeping in your car or pickup truck is no more protection than a tent. I've seen what a bear can do to a pickup truck when it wants inside and it ain't pretty.

My wife encouraged me to add the balls comment BTW.

Yes I know they can rip a car up pretty bad but I reckon the noise they would make to do that would wake me up and give some time to pull the gun and start blasting away. What gives me the creeps is the thought that it could just jump on top of you while you are asleep and you get all wrapped up in the tent like a straight jacket .

Empty the magnum rifle.......drop it.....empty the 45.........run.........If somewhere in there your method proves ineffective...........all your troubles are behind you, go with god. No worries.

I wouldn't even bother carrying the 45. Unless you want to tickle them.

The pistol cartridges SBruce ID'd are some worth carrying. You should be back from your trip by now... I hope the 45 wasn't needed if that's all you took.

When a man with a rifle reaches for his pistol........he is already screwed.........Pistols for dangerous charging anything is a last ditch desperate measure. Carrying a large heavy hog leg seams kind of silly to me. Don't overdo it or you will be to tired to run when that doesn't work.

I seriously doubt that a human could outrun a bear. I've heard tale that a bear can even overtake a horse in a short distance.? I've tried to catch a horse more than once and it's never worked out too good for the cowboy.

Maybe if it was just a bluff charge, and they didn't follow?

My vote goes to Stand your ground and Fight!:)

I seriously doubt that a human could outrun a bear. I've heard tale that a bear can even overtake a horse in a short distance.? I've tried to catch a horse more than once and it's never worked out too good for the cowboy.

Maybe if it was just a bluff charge, and they didn't follow?

My vote goes to Stand your ground and Fight!:)

I CAN BRUCE I CAN! I used to race bears back in my younger days :D

Of course you can't outrun it unless it is severely wounded.

Yea, I suppose. LOL. Hopefully 5 or 6 shots from a handgun would slow it down enough to make an escape before it got me. I don't move nearly as fast as I used to for **** sure! :D

Did anyone ever hear back from the OP if he survived the trip or not?

Well.... messing with a big bear with a handgun never turns out well for the hunter... I know bears can be killed with handguns. Hunting one with a handgun and back up is one thing... Surprising one that sleeping or trying to keep your camp meat from one'.., is entirely something else.

However'.., it always make me feel better when I have my .44 Mag S&W M29 (I like the double action) with full house 240gr hard lead loads at hand... The other one; just because of the round count is my; Glock 20 SF (not a big fan of Glock) but the 10mm in with a new replacement supported KKM barrel and Wolff 24 lbs spring kit in it for the use of real heavy hitting 180gr plus bullets'.., using full metal jacket; works very well'..., as an outback carry gun. The 16 round count of hard hitting 10mm in the G20 SF... gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling.

But the truth is; 12ga reliable semi auto or pump with a hard & heavy slugs is bear medicine.

Last edited:
When i hunted alaska over 20 yrs ago i carried my heavy *** desert eagle 44 the whole time and cussed it daily. I took it because i was worried about bears in camp. I figured i would have my weatherby in my hands when hunting but i got there and on the stream bank by camp was a bear track that made me carry the 44 everyday. We actually had a bear in camp one night and the guides all pulled out there pump 12 guages. I did feel better having it so i guess peace of mind is something.

Has anyone heard wether he needed his 45????

I was lucky never saw a bear during the trip. Everyone in camp saw bears excet me and my hunting partner.

That's good you didn't see any bears. I've only had to shoot in self defense once against a lion. The sucker followed me for nearly 2.5 miles before I turned around and seen him following me. One shot towards his way was enough to veer him off. Later that day I bought a Smith and Wesson Model 21 in .44 special. Ever since then I haven't had to pull it out, that's a good thing to.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.