Need help choosing a side arm

My only advice to you is to file the front sight off so that when the bear sticks it somewhere, it won't hurt. I hunt bears in that same country and there are a lot of grizz.
Kirk

If you feel comfortable carrying a big heavy gun around camp, go for it. But if your out hunting on what I presume is a rifle hunt, you already probably have a gun with you that is more powerful than any handgun on earth.

My only advice to you is to file the front sight off so that when the bear sticks it somewhere, it won't hurt. I hunt bears in that same country and there are a lot of grizz.
Kirk

****! You beat me to it. Sometimes you just can't help it! On a more serious note +1 on Arrow 1's post. I have only delt with bears while fishing and everyone carries spray, but if it gets bad someone is always on post with a 12gauge.

Last edited:
If you are familiar and competent with your 1911, carry it. You could get a 10mm 1911 or a new top end for your gun. If you choose a different weapon definitely shoot it enough to get used to it before you go.
For ammo I would stay away from hollow points. On hogs I have had problems with quick expansion and minimal penetration. Use a FMJ or hardcast load, ideally a +P load. Practice with lighter loads if recoil is an issue, but carry the hot ones.
Bear spray has a pretty good track record also. Carry some along with your pistol. Options won't hurt.
Sounds like a great trip, hope you enjoy it!

Kirk

I like that but with a caveat...

I'd empty the entire magazine into the bear first, 9+1 then run like hell. I have a feeling that 10 rounds of 45 auto's in an agressive bullet will do some serious damage to any predator at close range......

10 holes in vital areas = serious leakage.

I would prefer my side-by-side 12 gage short barreled coach gun with 00 buck in each hole, but the 45 is a good alternative IMO.

On handguns without a CCW from Ohio west, every state has definite rules for transport, especially Illinois and you are going through Illinois. If you take a handgun, take it apart, have the ammo stored seperately and the magazine empty or the cylinder in the case of a revolver. Preferrably, have the handhun in a case with a gun lock on the trigger.

Always better to err on the side of legal. Especially in Illinois.

Interesting read. I will never get to see a wild bear but if one was coming at you .
Presuming the use of a 45 handgun . What would be the best way to approach the shots needed.
Like two or three in the chest and then shoot at the head or could you even see the chest properly as it ran at you ?
Or just shoot for the head ?
I am thinking shoot at the brain but I noticed on TV that a bears head moves up and down quite a bit as it runs .
So what is the best targeting options to stay alive ?

I would take the 5.7 with the right ammunition (probably not FN) over the 45. It penetrates better, has similar energy, and makes similar wounds. You have a lot more rounds in the gun and there's less recoil, making follow-up shots easier, quicker and more numerous. I wouldn't trust either to stop a grizzly in one or two shots, so take the one you can put more rounds into it with. I's say the 5.7 has a better chance of getting to the important parts, too.

Don't use the 5.7 without really good ammo though, some of the FN stuff is very anemic.

Other good options would be a big revolver (454 Casull, 45 Long Colt, 44 Magnum), or a 1911 in 10mm or 9x23.

Interesting read. I will never get to see a wild bear but if one was coming at you .
Presuming the use of a 45 handgun . What would be the best way to approach the shots needed.
Like two or three in the chest and then shoot at the head or could you even see the chest properly as it ran at you ?
Or just shoot for the head ?
I am thinking shoot at the brain but I noticed on TV that a bears head moves up and down quite a bit as it runs .
So what is the best targeting options to stay alive ?

My thought would be shoot him in the balls......:D:D:D

Actually, I don't believe it would matter a lot just start pulling the trigger until the magazine is empty....

Years aho I had one close encounter with a bear, on his turf BTW and I was wearing a handgun but decided instead to run like hell. I'm still here so either he was lazy or I was lucky, or both.

I know two guys that have shot bears in self defense. Both sows that charged because they had cubs with them. Both guys shot the bear with their rifles because that was what was in their hand at the moment.

My vote goes to "honey I need to buy another pistol, in case a bear tries to get me".:)

If you can swing it, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 480 Ruger, 460 S&W, 500 S&W. Get a double action revolver.....reliable as can be, and all you gotta do is pull the trigger. FWIW, the 460 S&W will allow you to shoot the full power 460, the 454 casull or the dowloaded (or full power) 45 Long Colt. It's kinda big but 2" of the barrel is a compensator so it doesn't kick your arse before the bear does. The 460 round is darn near as big as a 45-70 round, and many many bear and buff were supposedly killed with the 45-70 way back before fences and roads.

FWIW, there is a reason why the Alaskan's say to file the front site off so when you're done unloading your handgun at the CHARGING grizzly it wont hurt so bad when it shoves it up your ***.... before it kills you. Even if you could hold your composure enough to blow out the heart and lungs there is enough O2 left in the bear's brain and muscles along with all the adrenaline to totally ruin your day. That's why UDAP spray has proven to be the best way to stop or deter a bear.

This is a topic that I've pondered from time to time. Some good reading can be found on John Linebaugh's website. Although Linbaugh builds large caliber revolvers, his everyday carry gun is a 45LC with a good hard cast SWC. We've used the 45 cal 270 gr SAA at 1000 fps on pigs and have driven that bullet lengthwise on a 300 pound hog. I believe large caliber with lots of frontal area is the best bet. But, as John points out, he carries a 4" S&W double action because an encounter with a bear can happen too fast to swing a rifle or cock a single action. I'd consider a 1911 with 230 gr hardball as a good second choice.

FWIW, there is a reason why the Alaskan's say to file the front site off so when you're done unloading your handgun at the CHARGING grizzly it wont hurt so bad when it shoves it up your ***.... before it kills you. Even if you could hold your composure enough to blow out the heart and lungs there is enough O2 left in the bear's brain and muscles along with all the adrenaline to totally ruin your day. That's why UDAP spray has proven to be the best way to stop or deter a bear.

This is basically what I was thinking if it is 25 yards off and closing with a handgun . I would be trying to put a few in it's brain . If it's on top of you well stick the muzzle any place you can I guess .
The thought of sleeping in a tent in bear country gives me the creeps but I guess you got to do it .

This is basically what I was thinking if it is 25 yards off and closing with a handgun . I would be trying to put a few in it's brain . If it's on top of you well stick the muzzle any place you can I guess .
The thought of sleeping in a tent in bear country gives me the creeps but I guess you got to do it .

I have to say that sleeping in your car or pickup truck is no more protection than a tent. I've seen what a bear can do to a pickup truck when it wants inside and it ain't pretty.

My wife encouraged me to add the balls comment BTW.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.