need help calling

savage11300wsm

Hellow, I have been trying to call coyotes and have been unsuccesfull. I have called in 7 or 8 different places. I am using a foxpro spitfire and lightining jack. I live in missouri so there is a lot of timber, should i call in the timber or call in open fields? I have been calling in open fields and hiding in a little clump of trees. can someone tell me what to do? I really want to get into calling it looks like a blast.

You will have to do some reading: E-Magazines
and it should answer your questions.

Things to consider:
- wind (coyotes come against the wind)
- camo (no shiny barrels, etc.)
- check your caller for white noise. Is it humming?
- limit movement
- set up your caller about 50 yards away
- look for tracks, it would be easier to see on the snow
- hunt near pastures where cows are around
- hunt on the land with gophers or other small varmints (here in SK we have plenty of gophers
- change distress calls, your coyotes might already beware of your sounds (especially when someone else hunted there with foxpro)
- mouth calls (when battery dies or just to change a distress call a bit)
- electronic decoy (or something that moves, like feathers on a stick)

I hope this helps
Outdoorsczar
ps. There is no I approach that fits all scenarios! Try different methods!

Hellow, I have been trying to call coyotes and have been unsuccesfull. I have called in 7 or 8 different places. I am using a foxpro spitfire and lightining jack. I live in missouri so there is a lot of timber, should i call in the timber or call in open fields? I have been calling in open fields and hiding in a little clump of trees. can someone tell me what to do? I really want to get into calling it looks like a blast.

You have to cal where you can see # 1. Camo like turkey hunting and scent control like hunting deer. Wind always across your face. Never from behind or front. Put the caller upwind. Most coyotes will drop down wind to smell what they are coming to eat. When using e caller always start soft and then get louder.

Stay out of the fields during the day, River bottoms and cattail sloughs are tops this time of year, Heavy grass cover if you can find it.

Coyotes are a bit aprehensive in the open especially on the eastern half of the country where there used to cover.

If you want to learn, and there is snow cover available walk 25 yards into the timber surounding the field you just called. look for the tracks of the coyote that hung up in the cover and watched you leave.

Don't give up and try and learn somthing about the animal everytime your out.
Calling before or after big storms is a good time to try.

Find livestock and talk to the farmer, He will tell you where he sees them and when.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.