Need Help...bottom metal question

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by bookworm, Jan 14, 2012.

1. bookworm

bookworm Well-Known Member

I have a remington 700 ADL I'm using as a base to start a build. I'm going to go with a hinged floorplate on the new rifle and I'd like some help to determine exactly what I need to get to is all works together right.

The new rifle will be a straight .284 in a long action. I thought I'd simply buy a remington BDL set-up but I've discovered that there are different designators on some of the parts (standard, magnum, 30-06, etc). Can someone help point me in the right direction? I'm assuming I'll need:

- Trigger assembly/hinged floorplate (do I just need a long action here?)
    - Magazine Box (which version do I need?)
    - Follower (do I need a follower, or can I use my ADL follower...and which version?)
    - Follower spring (do I need this or can I use my ADL spring...and which version?)

I don't really understand the differences between the versions that I see when I look on Midway USA, for example. And I may first try to see if anyone on this forum has any for sale...but I want to be sure I'm asking for the right version...if it matters. I understand that I'll need long action on all these, but not sure what else matters.

Thanks for any help!

2. Dalebow

Dalebow Well-Known Member

I went with a Williams steel hinged floor plate and trigger guard, cerakoted it and it is sweet, perfect drop in too.

3. Dalebow

btw, yes you need a long action remington 700, they are around $270 at brownels on line

4. bookworm

Dalebow - what did you use for the magazine box, spring, and follower?

The floorplate is pretty straightforward (long or short are only options)...the other parts seem to come in a couple different options for the long action.

5. Dalebow

from a 700 BDL

6. bookworm

Even for a long action there seems to be different followers and boxes. I'm assuming that for a .284 it would take the non-Magnum parts (30-06).

It's not clear to me what is different.

7. Dalebow

the 284 would be fine with the 3006 magazine, spring, ect