Need Help. 338 Edge Brass

Cordell

Guys,

Would you please take a look at these pictures of my 338 Edge brass and see if there is any thing that causes you concern for possible over pressure. I have never had crater marks on my brass. Two guys that I have spoken to say it is normal and not tor worry about it. And one of the members here has some information on their personal web page that also says this is normal. I just want to make sure I am not missing a sing of pressure on the brass.

Here are some details about the load I am using.

Rem 300 RUM brass
Fed 215 Match primers
300 Gr Sierra MK's
90gr's H1000
Muzzle velocity of 2760
only 52 rounds through the new Brux barrel

Attachments

• DSC_2009.jpg
    DSC_2009.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_2010.jpg
    DSC_2010.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Cordell,
It looks fine to me.
Can't see any ejector marks from that angle.
The cratering is due to firing pin hole being slightly bigger.
Check the roundness of the primer at the edge to see if it is flat.
Use a handheld magnifying glass if you need to. You want to see some roundness of the primer on its edge still.

Jim,

There is still some roundnes on the edges, looks like i am good to go.

Thanks again for all your help. I am still waiting to get some dies for the edge so I have not been doing much shooting with it. I did just pick up another 100 rds of 300 Rum brass. Hope to get a set of dies from DE next month if all goes well. I have to come up with some $$ for a new Pocket PC, mine does not want to work right. And i need to get an angle indicator to finish out the build/setup.

Thanks
Cordell

+1 take a look at the bolt. Alot of the new rems (maybe others?) Are tapered around the firing pin hole. Mine looked just like that and when I first got it and my smith showed me with a magnifying glass how the shape of that hole matched the mark on the primer and it wasnt cratering at all.f you look at the bolt really close you can see the taper I am talking about.

Yep there does seem to be a taper on the pin hole, must be on the newer guns, my 300 RUM i got 8 years ago does not have it.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.