Need chronograph

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by doghntr, Dec 12, 2011.

1. doghntr

doghntr Member

Want to get one but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. It doesn't have to have everything, just the basics. Was wondeing what would be a good one to start with. Thanks

2. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

I think Pact sells one for about $125 that is very basic, but a lot of that depends on your budgit. Ohler and Pact are the two best out there
    gary

3. rtabor

rtabor Well-Known Member

I have a shooting chrony, I think the F-1. It tends to give an error display about once in six or eight shots. I wouldn't recommend it.

4. runshort

runshort Well-Known Member

Good idea on the purchase of a chronograph. Very useful tool for load development. We bought a Shooting Chrony a couple years back and had a lot of errr messages come up using it and didn't really understand why. Anyway got a chance to get rid of it and bought a CED M2 about a year ago and it worked to my liking. I know there are other brands that probably work just as well but so far no complaints.

5. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

I have a Pact Pro that I've had for years, it's a great unit!

Bob

6. Trickymissfit

is your Pact one of the newer designs? I've been looking at that one. I've had a PC2 for many years, and it's just never missed a beat. I bought it because they were (at the time) doing a joint venture with RCBS to develop a down loading systen to work with your PC. Nobody (consumer) seemed all that interested, so they dropped the idea. I wish they'd simply add a USB port or a card reader slot into the main box.
    gary

7. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

Mine is at least 15 years old, still working fine. I did manage to hit one of the diffuser supports with a bullet. I was going to order new ones but ended up making them from aluminum instead. An SD card slot would be really nice!

Bob

8. ken snyder

ken snyder Well-Known Member

Ive noticed that all of the chronographs break the same when I shoot them! I suggest getting two base models nothing fancy and a heavy metal plate. At some time you will be interested in comparing velocity spreads at distance. First one on sale wins every time.

9. Trickymissfit

when dealing with a chronograph, I think that consistencey is the priority issue here. I'm not talking shot to shot, but day to day as well. Find one that works well for you everytime you set it up, and always set it up exactly the same each and every time.
    gary