Need chronograph

doghntr

Want to get one but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. It doesn't have to have everything, just the basics. Was wondeing what would be a good one to start with. Thanks

Want to get one but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. It doesn't have to have everything, just the basics. Was wondeing what would be a good one to start with. Thanks

I think Pact sells one for about $125 that is very basic, but a lot of that depends on your budgit. Ohler and Pact are the two best out there
gary

I have a shooting chrony, I think the F-1. It tends to give an error display about once in six or eight shots. I wouldn't recommend it.

Good idea on the purchase of a chronograph. Very useful tool for load development. We bought a Shooting Chrony a couple years back and had a lot of errr messages come up using it and didn't really understand why. Anyway got a chance to get rid of it and bought a CED M2 about a year ago and it worked to my liking. I know there are other brands that probably work just as well but so far no complaints.

I have a Pact Pro that I've had for years, it's a great unit!

Bob

is your Pact one of the newer designs? I've been looking at that one. I've had a PC2 for many years, and it's just never missed a beat. I bought it because they were (at the time) doing a joint venture with RCBS to develop a down loading systen to work with your PC. Nobody (consumer) seemed all that interested, so they dropped the idea. I wish they'd simply add a USB port or a card reader slot into the main box.
gary

is your Pact one of the newer designs? I've been looking at that one. I've had a PC2 for many years, and it's just never missed a beat. I bought it because they were (at the time) doing a joint venture with RCBS to develop a down loading systen to work with your PC. Nobody (consumer) seemed all that interested, so they dropped the idea. I wish they'd simply add a USB port or a card reader slot into the main box.
gary

Mine is at least 15 years old, still working fine. I did manage to hit one of the diffuser supports with a bullet. I was going to order new ones but ended up making them from aluminum instead. An SD card slot would be really nice!

Bob

Ive noticed that all of the chronographs break the same when I shoot them! I suggest getting two base models nothing fancy and a heavy metal plate. At some time you will be interested in comparing velocity spreads at distance. First one on sale wins every time.

Ive noticed that all of the chronographs break the same when I shoot them! I suggest getting two base models nothing fancy and a heavy metal plate. At some time you will be interested in comparing velocity spreads at distance. First one on sale wins every time.

when dealing with a chronograph, I think that consistencey is the priority issue here. I'm not talking shot to shot, but day to day as well. Find one that works well for you everytime you set it up, and always set it up exactly the same each and every time.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.