Need chart showing avg. inches to bracket game animals torso's for ranging purposes

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by captjordan, Oct 5, 2007.

1. captjordan

captjordan Well-Known Member

A link would help..........or actual examples..........
    thx
    jordan

2. 300rum

300rum Well-Known Member

Hi,

WT - 18 in
    Black Bear - 18 in
    Elk Bull - 34
    Elk Cow - 24 - 26
    Moose - 28
    Coyote - 9
    PDog - 9 (on standing position from top to toe)

Chris

3. captjordan

Cool..............anyone else.............

or maybe a link to such info.................For the Whitetail, is that a buck...... large one? In TX, we have some medium sized WT, 180 lbs on the hoof for a big buck (South TX). How about Mulies?

thx
    Jordan

4. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

How about a Laser Range finder?.........

5. CDA

CDA Guest

um yeah, +1 on the LRF...

unless you've extensive background in manual raging techniques.. good luck...

6. captjordan

I have a Leica 1200 scan model, but am only able to range elk sized animals reliably out to about 500 yards with it.........I can get about 8-900 yard readings with it on a Very Large Boulder or tree............but, when I have no great reflective object, from 600 yards on, it is useless...........I want to use my NP-R1 reticle to range these bulls out to 800+ yards, so that is why I need to know the torso size...............anyone have a suggestion on a better rangefinder or more sizes for torsos, I'm all ears. Will the Swarovski 1500 range an elk sized target, using the elk for reflection, out past 800-1000yds?????????

7. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

I have used the Leica and the Swarovski side by side for several months, 2 years ago and I kept the Swarovski.. I have ranged Elk with mine at 1800 plus yards...........[​IMG]

8. captjordan

Damn,
    Are you kidding? Just using the elks body as a reflective target? Or using a huge boulder? That is awesome.......... May have to take a $400 hicky and upgrade if so...........
    thx
    jordan

9. CDA

CDA Guest

I have ranged Elk past 1200 yards reliably with the swaro... Sell the little black box and step over to the green side....

10. edge

edge Well-Known Member

11. captjordan

Swarovski..........here I come
    thx guys
    Jordan