need bedding help on 2 rifles

JWW

my son in law has 2 plastic stock rifles that we need to bed 1 a 243 mossberg 2 a stevens 270 the mossberg plastic stock seems to be twisted on the fore arm and the group goes out to 2" at a 100yrds the stevens will group 1"or less at 100yards i was thinking about epoxy bedding a alum channel to fore arm on both rifles then floating the barrel do i do barrel float at same time as action bed or wait and do in 2 steps new stocks are out of question as i am bank on this project an wont be paid back some help or advice would be appecrated thanks JWW

I gave up trying to bed the plastic stocks. There's way to much oil in them for a proper hold. I know your not in the market for new stocks but to be honest you may just be spinning your wheels trying to bed a plastic stock and not get any return out of it. With that said, I normally make sure the action is sitting straight in the stock. I then open the barrel channel up to free float the barrel. I'll then go back and remove some material in the action inlet but leave 2 points for the action to sit in. I'll wrap masking tape around the barrel to keep it centered in the channel and check my fit and clearances everywhere. Use good release agent and see how it comes out. If you bed before you float the barrel you could be inducing stress into the bedding job. I've tried bedding in a steel rod in a light stock that had too much flex, it didn't do a thing for stiffness. In my honest opinion I'd just leave them the way they are until your able to get a good stock worthy of bedding.

kevin, the stevens is acceptable to him but he would like the mossberg closer to 1moa at 100yds the forearm is touching on left side would it work to bed & float barrel in one operation i am used to working with epoxies and different adtives on the offshore boats i rebuild the strengths and bonding capabilties to different substraits are there is this doable my thought is to go arround recoil lug with split alum channel, to then to bond channel to forearm,and fill above for barrel freefloat ?

I have just recently bedded a plastic stock on a remington 243 . The one gentleman was right about the oils in the stock causing some problems.I found that the bedding took around the action took well after rough sanding and degreasing but I should not have dug around my action bolt holes.If I were you, I would take out about 1/8" of stock around the action , grind a nice size pocket around the recoil lug , and 1/8" under the first inch of the barrel. Leave the action bolts alone. This will give you a nice skim bedding job. After this is done then do the free float of barrel. This will keep things true. Like he says, Plastic stock, Only so much you can do. This should help . Post later how you made out.

I bedded and stiffend a stock on a remington vtr. It was some work, helped accuracy, using it for now, it is a plinker. FRONT WAS ribbed inside, I used a long drill bit and fit 2 large carbon arrows parallel. It had a front pressure point, floated it. It was like a wet noodle. I epoxyed the whole front area. This is just a 223 and not my hunting set up.

I'm with kevin on this one to.

The "Tupperware" stocks are just a handle not what I would call a stock.

I have tried to turn them into something usable and labor and materials cost as much as
a real stock.

You can make them better but they will always hold a good rifle back.

They did lower the price of rifles and I am grateful for that but for $100.00 + you can buy
a good laminate stock that is hands down better and can be pillar bedded and shoot better
than most people can.

Also the cost of working up loads has to be figured in to the cost of a rifle with a poor stock
and you may never find a "Good" load with the Tupperware stocks.

Being water proof is the only attribute that they have and the expansion rate of the molded
plastics is many times greater than wood.

I am not against trying to better anything But you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Go ahead and try by all means but eventually you will get a "Real Stock" and be able to see
how much better any decent stock is compared to the Tupperware stocks.

I know this is not what you asked ,Just trying to save you some time,trouble and cost.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
bedded front and rear action screw areas only noticable improvement .75 moa 100yds its ok for now thanks JWW

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts