need barrel advice????

mo

I need a little help... My friend has a 30 inch 7mm mag., with a 6 inch shank, that is a real shooter!!! Recently he had a case separate in chamber, he had to take barrel off to get case out of chamber. He has decided to go with a 30. cal.

He said I can have barrel, and my question is it worth me re-chambering the barrel? I want to make it a 284 Winchester. Please keep in mind this barrel has been shot 2 to 3 thousand times and had throat erosion. I guess my question is does rifling wear out in barrel???

Thanks Moe

I would assume that you could make a 26" barrel out of it and it would last another thousand rounds or so. but it will cost you a couple hundred dollars to do that. ??????

Even if he gave you the barrel, you will have more money in it than its worth, before you fire the first shot.

barrel

The barrel has been fluted, cyro, and muzzle brake. If I buy a new barrel have it fluted, chambered muzzle brake that's a chunk of change!!! What I want to know does rifling wear out on a barrel??? The barrel was still accurate up until the day he took it off, even with all the throat erosion. The barrel is free. Thanks Lance

update

My buddy told me he counted the left over bullet boxes, and the barrel has no more then 1200 rounds down it. Moe

mo, if you can do the work yourself, and it's about a 9 twist, try it. If you set it back a couple of inches, the .284 will have a new throat, and you'll have a seasoned barrel that is a known shooter. If I had to pay someone to do it, and didn't need 1/8 moa, I would still use it and save the $300-$400 that a new blank will cost.

You can wear out a barrel, but 1200 rds of 7 Mag is not going to do it. The crown might be a little tired, though.

Hope it works out for you, Tom

On edit: If you decide not to use it, P/M me. I can always use a proven 7mm barrel.

Last edited:
I would chop a couple inches off then re chamber and never give the fact that it was used a second thought. I had a 6x284 built that would never shoot. I burned the throat out of it in short order and had it re barreled in 6.5x47 and the gun shot lights out. Since I had used a palma taper barrel it had enough meat before the taper to cut a couple inches off and have it look presentable in a sendero take off stock. I had the shortened barrel re chambered in 243Ai and couldn't be happier. Lo and behold the barrel that wouldn't shoot before now shoots itty bitty groups.

Run it!

A fluted barrel with a brake would cost about 500 bucks to buy off the shelf.

Then you have to fit the brake, thread and chamber the barrel, and yada yada. So, there's the labor side of it too.

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal to me.

Lop off the threaded portion and refit to your action. It'll shoot just fine if everything is done properly. No reason to think other wise.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.