need ansures?

ggkkpp

Hi all.

I have been shooting for many years, however I have now bought some land that offers very long range hunting. I would like to long range zero a few of my rifles and in all the reaserch I have seen everybody recomends sand bags for this, now my ? is wouldent a gun vice be better, or is locking the gun down a bad move?(due to the recoil being supressed).

I am very anal about sighting in my guns well and want to do the right thing so some advice from serios shooters would be great.

By the way it is a 300 wetherby mag.

I believe it's best to zero the rifle from the same position and under the same conditions you'll be shooting when hunting.

I zero from prone, off a bipod with a sand sock rear rest. If you're going to put up benches on your land you might use a bench to zero. I would not opt for a gun vise.

I zeroed mine with a sandbag in front and a small sandbag in the back. You can squeeze the rear sand bag for micro elevation adjustments. I can shoot sub MOA like that. I don't think you need to use a vice to get a good zero.

Everytime I have witnessed someone using a rifle vice to zero their rifles, when they actually shoulder fire the weapon the point of impact shift, sometimes dramatically!

The rifle needs to recoil the same when zeroing as it will in the field, I strongly agree with the comments already made.

While a machine rest may have use for testing pure accuracy and consistancy during load testing, I feel they are useless as far as zeroing a firearm because in my opinion, your zeroing not only the rifle but the rifle being fired off your shoulder.

Do it like you will be firing inthe field and your zero will be accurate for the shot on game.

Just my opinion,

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen

Thanks all for the info. I have a blind up in the trees with a 29 inch bench in it so after reading this I think I'll go with the sand bags.

I can assure you that from many years of competitive shooting that a 200 yard standing zero is different than a 200 yard sitting or prone zero with a sling. Its not that much different but it still requires clicking to hit dead center.

So I agree with the above posts. You have to zero it the way you'll use it to be sure.

Jeff

I bought a Lohman Sight Vice a year ago and tried it versus sand bags. It didn't work and as stated above the POI changed with how it was mounted in the vise and the tension on it. Hoppe's makes a nice pair of leather bags you can fill with sand. The vise does work well for cleaning a gun though.
wink.gif

Pat S.

thanks guys.

Pat..... that was the ansure I was looking for(someone who has done it and reolized it failed).
Thanks again for all the helpfull info from all of you.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts