Need an Affordable FFP Rifle Scope on my .308 Savage Recommendations Guys!

Elk4Bucketlist

I have an .308 Savage that I will be using for deer hunting this year. It was a gift. I need to get and FFP Rifle Scope on it soon to get it ready for hunting season. Any recommendations on a good affordable rifle scope on it soon.

I was thinking an Vortex PST however I've been hearing about Athlon Optics rifle scopes lately and wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with them. They've copied the Vortex Lifetime Warranty but their prices seem to be considerably lower with similar features. Does anyone have the Argos BTR yet?

Thanks for the feed back!

- Jay

Don't go cheep on your glass. We have all been there. Spend more on glass then you want to. You will be so glad you did. Very cheapest I would go is a Leupold LRP or Vortex PST Gen 2 FFP, maybe even Burris XTR 2 series.

Good luck hunting

Brian

I have an .308 Savage that I will be using for deer hunting this year. It was a gift. I need to get and FFP Rifle Scope on it soon to get it ready for hunting season. Any recommendations on a good affordable rifle scope on it soon.

I was thinking an Vortex PST however I've been hearing about Athlon Optics rifle scopes lately and wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with them. They've copied the Vortex Lifetime Warranty but their prices seem to be considerably lower with similar features. Does anyone have the Argos BTR yet?

- Jay
From the research I've done on the Athlon it looks like they are all made in china. The model I looked at was similar to a Vortex Viper HS-T. It was only about $70 less than viper but did have an illuminated reticle. The Vipers are made in Phillipines. Atholon can probably afford to offer life time warranty being made in china, it probably only cost a $100 to make a $600 scope.

hi There.. it is a least 20 years i wasn't shooting... u start again this year with a REM 700 long range...( cause i like long range) probably not the best rifle.. but we all know is the shooter on the bad of it that counts. i was a bit concerned about spending too much money for a scope.. i end up with a compromise.... i opted for a Doa 800 bushnell in the trophy series...
i wasn't that sure but now.. I'm impressed.. i grow up using milrad in the Europe..moa was more... American for me lol..i zero it at 300 from the box just giving one full Moa (in 1/8 per click) in elevation.. and the scope is amazing..moa at 300 mts is not bad for a poor shooter like me...i had a base of 20 Moa compensating wath i could miss on elevation at a 1000 yard...now I have (1...40 Moa of adjustment (up. in my case .) still on the scope.. plus the reticle gives me another 22.5 Moa of compensation in elevation... reached already 1475 mt.. on my last shooting session. now i don't Sa i can sharp a pencil... but do u think the deer will notest? ( everything was done on 300 win mag 168 grain hormady.....) i think everyone should use wath makes them feel comfortable... use your skills.. and train... even a tasco does the job if u do... my scope cost mr 350$ Canadian...

- Jay
sorry i reply on the wrong person but u could read my advise few line down talking about the doa Bushnell scope..

I know this thread is a bit old, but I recently got an Athlon Argos (BTR 6-24x50, FFP Illuminated). I haven't taken it to the woods yet, but I have been practicing with it at 100 meters on my 300wm. I'm very happy with it for the money.

I have the Burris Veracity in 4-20x50 FFP on my .270 AI and very pleased with it. My hunting buddy purchased two of them in Opticsplanet for just a tad over $600 on sale. The reticle is perfect for varminting.

I also have the SWFA 5-20 HD FFP on my .300 WSM, simply awesome.

Good luck!

Burris Veracity, Viper PST II, or XTR II. I've got experience with the PST and XTR and feel like they are great scopes for the money. My brother has the Veracity and really enjoys it as well.

For the newest addition to the safe, I was hoping for the same 20% Black Friday sale on the SWFA 3-15x40 they had last year, primarily on the TiborasaurusRex recommendation of the brand. That would have brought it down from $700 to $560. Then I came across a great deal on a Sig Tango 4 6-24x50 MOA for $750. A whole lot more than I was expecting for just a little bit more than I was planning to spend. I haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces yet.

I did get to shoot a couple with the Vortex Viper Gen2, also a 6-24x50 MOA. I was very impressed!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts