Need Advise for MuzzleBrake on 300Rem Ultra Magnum

300rum

Hi,

Before starting this thread I already did some research about Muzzle Brakes, but I need YOUR "FIELD EXPERIENCES" WITH this 4 muzzle brakes.

I would like to install a muzzlebrake TO SEE MY SHOOTS BETWEEN 300-800YARDS RANGE (or at least to see the animal reaction after shoot)

Rifle setup:
10 POUNDS rifle with all setup (bipod, scope, stock, barrel)
300Rem Ultra Magnum
200AB Round
91gr Retumbo
3030fps
Using Harris 9" Bipod all the time.
USED ALL THE TIME 16X POWER SCOPE MAGNIFICATION.

1. Holland QD
2. Vport (NATE308)Welcome To My Website
3. JP Enterprises
4. Shawn C.

I hunt almost 80% alone, so no spotter.

I really appreciate all the inputs from guys with "300 and up calibers on Magnum class".

Thank you
Chris

Last edited:
I had a Holland on a A-bolt 300 Rum. It did a good job. I could shoot 50 rounds in a day and still be ok.

I had another Holland on a 277AM. That in a 200 grain bullet was much nicer to shoot. My wife even enjoyed shooting it. She wouldn't shoot the 300 though.

I had a Holland on a A-bolt 300 Rum. It did a good job. I could shoot 50 rounds in a day and still be ok.

I had another Holland on a 277AM. That in a 200 grain bullet was much nicer to shoot. My wife even enjoyed shooting it. She wouldn't shoot the 300 though.

Hi Srhaggerty,

I'm ok with the recoil, I can shoot all day without muzzlebrake, and I'm Ok, because I have a limbsaver pad install on my 300remultramag rifle.
What I need to know is if any of you guys used a muzzle brake to reduce muzzle rise to be able to see the hits past 300yards-800yards.

Thank you
Chris

Before I ordered my 270AM that is the reason ROYINIDAHO said I needed the break so I could see my shots not for recoil however Im sure the reduction in recoil part has to help.

I read where Shawns breaks are not vented on the top or bottom to reduce muzzle flash in the scope and prevent dust and dirt being blown in your face from the prone.

I have personaly used a Holland Brake on a 300Win mag and it worked well but like mentioned by some other guys the top ports on the Holland will cause to gun to "squat" when shot off of the bi-pod meaning that it kinda shoves the muzzel down and this will be magnified with a higher case capacity round like the RUM. The holland brake is effective but not my first choice.

I have never used one of Shawn's brakes but I assume that it will be as effective as the holland but without the muzzle down force issue.

I have used two of Nate's brakes on two differant guns , one is the large diameter 3 baffel and its mounted on a fairly heavy 260 , I can spot my hits with this gun and the recoil is very light maybe on par with a heavy 223.
The first time I used one of these brake was on another board mamber's (eddybo) factory 300 Wby Mk-V , about 8lbs with no scope , it is the slimmer 4 baffel unit. Shooting this gun with factory Wby 150gr ammo I would say that the recoil is about that of a 243. I literaly held the gun up to my shoulder with my left hand open and pulled the trigger with my right hand not touching the gun letting it free recoil into me and their is barely a light tap.

I have also used an Ops brake on a 7mmRem mag Sendaro and it worked well but I would not say as well as the other multi baffel brakes.

All in all I plan to use Nate's V-port brake from here on out as I coulden't be happier with the work and effectiveness.

300RUM , check your pm box

asking to be able to spot your hits at 400yds out of a 10lb 300 RUM is asking alot , just getting a 200gr bullet jumping to 3000+fps is going to generate recoil that can't be taken away with a brake. The absolute best brake I have ever used was the big ugly JP brake that looks more at home on the M-1 Abrams tank than on a hunting rifle.

maximum gas redirection is what makes a brake effective , a brake with large baffels that directi the gas either directly 90 deg away from the shooter or acctualy vents the gas back toward the shooter some like some of the big brakes on 50 BMG rifles do.

I persoanly feel that the V-port desgine is more effective than a conventional baffel port brake all things being equal , meaning , if you have two brakes both 2" in diameter and 3" long both having 3 , 5/16" wide ports one has standard oval ports and one has a V shaped port the brake with the V-ports will have more surface area to catch and redirect the gas making it more effective, Now this is all in theory and has no real world test to back it up. If I had the funds I'd have a gun fitted with each of the brakes and rig up some way to measure recoil so we could get an accurate real world test of effectiveness.

When I say that i can spot my own hits with my gun you hav to relize that this is 260 Rem caliber and in a gun that weighs around 12lbs so trying to compair that to a 10lb 300RUM is not even close to even

300; The only rifle I have that I can see my hits with is a 12-1/2 lb 7-08. Everything else, brake or no brake, has too much recoil and muzzle flash to recover fast enough to see the hit.

Hope it works out for you though. I'd like to know what happens.

Tom

300; The only rifle I have that I can see my hits with is a 12-1/2 lb 7-08. Everything else, brake or no brake, has too much recoil and muzzle flash to recover fast enough to see the hit.

Hope it works out for you though. I'd like to know what happens.

Tom

Hi Specweldtom,

Yes I will do, now I just finished contacting Shawn, Nathe, Holland, and JP Enterprise.
I just wait for another review and after I will place the order.
Unfortunatedly, I could not find a guy on this site with 300rem ultramg, to have a muzzlebrake installed. Maybe they are out hunting....
But for sure I will post a review message.
Till now the JP can not ship to Canada, and Shawn's have a good review of spotting hits with his muzzle brake on high caliber rifle. About Holland I have to wait another 2 weeks, because they will release on market a new type of muzzle brake special designed for this purpose.

Thank you
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.