Need Advice

tweek1142

I want to get some work done to my hunting rifle but i'm not sure what. My goal is to build a rifle that is competent to 800-1000 yds. for deer sized game. Here is my Current set up

Remington SPS Stainless
300 WSM
Stock Barrel
Hart Muzzle Brake
Bell and Carlson Stock
Trigger set to 2.5 lbs
Bushnell Elite Tactical 4.5-30X50

I do reload and am still working on a load. I have two loads that shoot MOA. One is with a 190 gr. Berger and the other is a 165 NBT. The 190 is too long so i'm limited to a single shot when i use this load. Anyways here is what i have in mind to do but want to get the best bang for the buck

New Stock: looking at the McMillan A-3 Sporter or something similar. I really want a Sporter stock with vertical grip. I'm also looking at the Gray Bull Stock. If i go with the stock i will also get it bedded.

True/Blue print action. I'm a little confused with the difference between the two. So if i could get educated that would be great.

Any other ideas would be great..

Thanks

if i rebarrel will i need to true/blue print the action? Also what contour would you recommend?

do not blue print the action. get the fattest barrel you can live with and will fit in your stock.

One thing I've learned on this forum. On your first post, always include a max number of what you can or want to spend. No matter the topic, whether if be backpacks, knives,reloading,optics, or complete builds the price tag can go from mild to wild.

I have $1500 to spend right now if that helps. This is going to be a carry rifle so weight is a concern. I'm thinking about a #4 or #5 contour barrel just not sure what brand. I'm also looking at manners T3 or McMillan A3 sported stock. I like the vertical grip style. The manners stock looks like is its a hybrid between a vertical and regular style. I have also see the gray bull stock that spikes my interest. Does anyone have experience with these stocks. Again this will be a carry long range rifle and needs to be comfortable to shoot off hand and prone. Thanks again

Typically, the best bang for the buck is a new trigger and bedding the action and floating the barrel. Learn to bed your own rifles. Even the cheap tupperware Remington stocks can be bedded. See if that makes an improvement first. If it does, you know you are headed in the right direction. Then move on to a quality stock and bed the action once again. Then spend a few more $$ on a good trigger (I have grown quite find of the Huber Concepts 2-stage trigger). Do these improvements one step at a time and see how much your groups close up.

What kind of groups are you currently getting?
If they're decent, under and inch at a 100, you probably have something to work with. If not then try bedding what you have and see if the groups improve. If still not good enough get a good barrel put on. I always do the stock last after you know you have something to work with.
One change at a time.

right now im getting 1/2" groups at 100yds with the 168 NBT with 67 grs of RL 17 behind it. i did notice a black spot on my barrel where my stock is rubbing so i'm going to float the barrel this weekend. ill let you know how it turns out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.