need advice/opinions

asa

I have a remington model 600 action that I was thinking of building a handgun from , I live in canada where we can not hunt with a handgun so it would be target shooting only also in canada you can only shoot handguns at registered ranges. The range I belong to has a max of 550 yards. I was thinking about a 6br, what ever I build rifle or handgun I will have Joel Russo build me a stock. I have your regular handcuns 44 mag , 40 s.w. 22lr but never had one like a xp 100 style. like I said open to opinions and advice thanks

Probably want to got to Specialty pistols and then get your visa out.

thanks I never heard of specialty pistols before , I assume its in the u.s.a. I dont think I want a pistol that bad as trying to import it into canada what be a nightmare. thanks for the suggestion anyway.I have the model 600 action already so the pistol was just a thought for something different if it does not work out I will build a rifle instead.

Can you convert a rifle action into a handgun in Canada?

I have a remington model 600 action that I was thinking of building a handgun from , I live in canada where we can not hunt with a handgun so it would be target shooting only also in canada you can only shoot handguns at registered ranges. The range I belong to has a max of 550 yards. I was thinking about a 6br, what ever I build rifle or handgun I will have Joel Russo build me a stock. I have your regular handcuns 44 mag , 40 s.w. 22lr but never had one like a xp 100 style. like I said open to opinions and advice thanks

I have another question if I was to build a 6mmbr off this 600 rem action , what length of barrel would I need .thanks

I would check with the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association in Canada and get in touch with them. There should be someone that can help you out.
I have shot with Canadian shooters every year I have been to Ohio for our International matches and I'm sure they will be happy to help.
That way you can hunt with a handgun,it will just be steel animals ;-)

I would check with the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association in Canada and get in touch with them. There should be someone that can help you out.
I have shot with Canadian shooters every year I have been to Ohio for our International matches and I'm sure they will be happy to help.
That way you can hunt with a handgun,it will just be steel animals ;-)

thanks I will look into that.
Ernie we have 550 yards at range, which is one of the longer ranges around here, with our long range guns we go to the forestry and have shot to 1800 yards, but we can only use handguns at certified ranges thanks

So I finally got my answers today, talked to the goverment firearms people and they said no problem converting a existing rifle action to a handgun as long as its is done correctly ( you can not chop the existing barrel done) They need to know the barrel manufacture and length,overall firearm length then tehy will issue you a registration certifcate. thanks for the help guys.

In my opinion you are looking at a lot of legal legal to take a registered nonrestricted firearm to a restricted firearm. There are many long barrel restricted firearms you can change the stock on . Buy one.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.