Need Advice on either 338 RUM or Lapua cartridge to get in a rifle?

Roguer

Hello, I'm new here. And on a quest for a new rifle for longer range performance on larger game. I plan on getting it this coming year and thought I HAD every thing thought out then as usual things changed. My need is a rifle in the 338 RUM/Lapua cartridge category. Its going to be used for hunting larger animals at longer ranges where a 300 win mag I feel can't do an ethical kill on a larger animal. Mostly Moose, Black Bear and Elk and maybe an Alaskan hunt or two. I researched for a while...OK a few years and determined this category of cartridge for my needs. But as usual things happen and you put these things on the back burner.

My Original plan was get a Savage in 338 RUM for an affordable rifle then Savage stopped chambering them, some one told me they didn't sell well and stopped chambering them for that reason, and now they either sell for as much as a Rem 700 in 338 RUM or in Lapua from what I been looking around for a while now. Note: this is just my own experience keeping an eye out for a decent rifle.

First Off I don't Reload. Use to but had a bad incident and I currently have no reloading gear that survived. So I'm looking for a cartridge I can find factory ammo for.

Now the question is which cartridge to get the rifle in. I talked to a Remington Dealer and he told me they are discontinuing the 338 RUM and other of the RUM line because newer powder technology is making shorter magnums more efficient and the RUMs aren't selling well. So this is making me reconsider my choice of cartridge in this class. The 338 Lapua seems to be gaining great momentum and the rifles in each cartridge seem to be about in the same price range when you look hard for them. I also looked in to the 338 Norma but don't think that's much of a go for me. My concern is the 338 RUM may disappear and making factory made ammo harder to find for it. I know this sounds like newbie talk but to me its one concern of the rifle. Which is why I think is what is making me leaning to the Lapua for the cartridge source. If some one can tell me I'm just being dumb please tell me.

Right now I'm just trying to decide on the cartridge. For rifles some one who directed me here from the 6.8 Forums when I was asking for advice and said a lot of people here maybe able to guide me to the right one that would fit my purposes, or even build one. Once I decide what cartridge then the fun part of getting the rifle begins. I learned the process of getting the rifle is half the adventure of eventually getting it. For Optics...well I'm sure people can give me advice on that to. Thanks for any advice you all can give me in advance. I may of way over thought this but right now I'm at a mental dead end.

I've owned and shot ~1500 rounds or so out of my 338 RUM. I now have a 338 Lapua with ~500 rounds down the tube. There isn't a nickles worth of difference between the 338 RUM, 338 Edge or the 338 Lapua in like setups.
Some might tout more velocity, or accuracy from one or the other. The difference is minimal and will change from one barrel to another.
Find a platform you like and go with it.

Your limiting factor is that you don't reload.
I would suggest getting back into. It will open up alot of options for you.
With that said, if a custom is out of the picture, find a 338 RUM and go with it.

The RUM. You need to reload. I' ve not seen any of the Remington factory loads (in .300/.338 RUM) meet my expectations for accuracy. My hand loads do. (just my 2 cents)

The 338 RUM is a great cartridge, I have a custom rig that I absolutely adore... but I too have been hearing the discontinuation rumors or the 338 which really puzzles me..... the positive for MY situation is that I reload so I don't really care whether or not they offer factory ammo as my rig will never see a factory round chambered anyway.... hope they don't discontinue the brass!!!

In your situation, if a factory rifle is you only option I will have to recommend the 700 in 338 Lapua (can't remember which model it is). Lapua brass & ammo will be available well into the forseeable future & is usually always available albeit more expensive than the RUMs. If a custom stick is possible, the Norma mag has a LOT of potential, but factory ammo????

As stated before reloading is nearly a must with most if not all of the big 338's, if this isn't an option the Lapua is really only the logical choice here. Although (thinking out loud) the extra expense of buying factory ammo vs reloads quickly adds up to enough to buy all of you reloading equipment & still leave a large chunk of money in your wallet (talking long term).

Thanks for the replies. I know the two cartridges give about the same performance, but its good to get some fresh view points. With both being so similar it might be best to take it from another angle and go with what I can get when can I get it. The Lapua seems more logical as its available. Most shooting I'll be doing probably is Zeroing, familiarity and practice to keep the skill with the gun up at distance and hunting. Other wise it won't be sports long range shooting.

Shucks, life is full of bad experience's, get back to hand loading. lightbulb
A friend of mine has a new Savage in 338 Lapua Mag with Vortex on top. The combination isn't too heavy. It is very accurate and he has a good time with it.
I will be getting the same combination late this year.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.