Need Advice from Seasoned Shooters

patrick85ed

Guys I am in the market for a nice Long Range rig based off the 338 Lapua round. I have never purchased a custom rifle but based off all the information I have read so far I think this will be the way for me to go. My questions are really what do I need to look for in a custom rig, what can I live without, ect.? The properties I currently hunt provide me with opportunities for Deer and Black Bear at 1000+ yards if I so choose but my current hunting outfits are not equipped to take those type shots so I am after my first custom rig and I want it to be a cherry without breaking my bank. So load me up with your best advice.

Welcome to LRH! A lot of good guys here with good info. In my opinion, if you want to start out on a budget Savage has your back. They just came out with two different models in 338 Lapua that will get you started and a base to build off of as you gain experience.

Here they are:

Savage Arms Firearms > 111 Long Range Hunter (338 LM)

Savage Arms Firearms > 110 FCP HS Precision

Of the two of them, I would get the FCPHS Precision. It gives you an HS stock which is already after market and a great foundation.

As far as scopes are concerned, definitely spend the coin on a the best possible glass you can afford. I am an avid Vortex fan and like the PST. Though I admit I don't own one, its next on the list to buy. I do however own a Vortex Viper. Customer service is great if you have any questions.

The rifle already comes with a base, so rings are the next to buy. If you must have top of the line, then IOR or Night Force would be the way to go. Leupold would be my second option. I currently own Weaver Tactical but wouldn't suggest them for the 338LM. I will suggest the Burris XTR Tactical rings. I have owned them and I am still kicking my self for getting rid of them. Warne makes some really sturdy rings also.

Savage is a good base platform for the do-it-yourselfer. I built my own rifle off of a Savage action and its nice to see they make one in a long action suited for the Lapua Mag. You could only do one better and that is the BA 110:Savage Arms Firearms > 110 BA From my understanding this is essentially a BAT action, with a PDC stock. The nice this is that you can change to the grip to any AR style grip that you want. It does cost a lot, but about the same as a custom and you already get a BAT action and a PDC stock.

These are my suggestions. I know other guys will give some great advice on other builds.

Tank

[...]I want it to be a cherry without breaking my bank.[...]

How big is your bank?

Tank threw out some pretty good starter options for a rifle and a very moderate scope although I'm partial to Nightforce.

Killing animals at 1k is a lot more challenging than it sounds.

You'll also need to acquire a lot of premium supporting gadgets. In addition to basic hunting supplies, you'll need top of the line range finder, wind/weather, spotting scope, handheld ballistics calc, etc...)

Plus a really good reloading setup. Don't forget ammunition components, gasoline, range fees... the list goes on.

You have to start somewhere. But, you might as well start budgeting for the whole package.

-- richard

As far as optics, go Night Force, Leupold, Vortex, Sightron SIII, and the like. All very good options. Vortex makes an HD version that will put you in the price range of NF, and MKIV Leupy's. US optics, Hendsolt, Schmidt and Bender are other really good option. I always forget about IOR, so I will throw those in there too.

Tank

You could only do one better and that is the BA 110:Savage Arms Firearms > 110 BA From my understanding this is essentially a BAT action, with a PDC stock. The nice this is that you can change to the grip to any AR style grip that you want. It does cost a lot, but about the same as a custom and you already get a BAT action and a PDC stock.
Tank

Tank, the 110 BA is not a BAT action, it is a Savage long action that has been ramped up to be a Target long action. Most surely not a BAT as I can swap the bolt handle and bolt head, it's all Savage man!:D All three Savage 338 Lapua models use this action.

Tank, the 110 BA is not a BAT action, it is a Savage long action that has been ramped up to be a Target long action. Most surely not a BAT as I can swap the bolt handle and bolt head, it's all Savage man!:D All three Savage 338 Lapua models use this action.

Sweet, I just noticed the BA is a lot more beefy. Somewhere a long the lines I thought I had read that it was designed by BAT. But, I've been known to be wrong before... at least once!:D Thanks for the heads up. Hate to spread bad info. I really want one of the H-S precision models.

Tank

I really like the savage option. I have a custom 338 Lapua and I absolutley love it so I am excited you want one. I kept a scrapbook of all the parts and labor that went into it and I am sitting near $4k and I got a really good price on my smith work because it was a guy my dad hunts with. That price includes my vx3 6.5-20x50mm scope, but if you add in the price of reloading components, reloading equipment if you dont already have it. Rangefinder and other glass the list goes on as mentioned above.
Point being You dont have to go custom to shoot 1k savage makes a super accurate rifle and to be honest i with they would have had these rifles available when I built mine because i would have bought one and saved myself a pile of cash. (dont get me wrong i love my custom more than anything) I would urge you to buy a savage. You can always build a custom later if it doesnt fit your needs.

Wow I did not think I would get so much great advice so quickly. I know I am sort of putting the cart before the horse here but I am a gun nut and have been all my life. I live REALLY close to the Butner base here in NC and I really want to do some of their 1K competition shoots but the gun HAS to be functional as a hunting rig first so that is what I am focusing on. I want to try and keep the budget between 3k and 4k but I think that is going to depend a lot on the glass. I do have a reloader and have done some loading in the past (the wife does not want this set-up in our house) so I would just need components for that aspect of it. I am VERY famililar with Savage and love their equipment so I am excited to hear I have that as an option. I am not looking ot jump into things without doing the proper research (I am an Engineer by trade) so keep the advice coming and Thanks guys.

If your budget is 3-4k, then I would seriously consider the 110 BA, and a Night Force 5.5-22x50. The rifle already comes with a base and a very sturdy stock. The stock is also fully adjustable. Other scopes to consdier would be the Leupy MKIV.

Tank

I would watch the classifieds on this site, there are some great customs that come up, with out the wait and save you some coin.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.