need a stopper

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Texas Hill Country Tom, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Texas Hill Country Tom

Texas Hill Country Tom Member

My polymyositis keeps making me weaker, I love to hog hunt in Central Texas. I have a 300 RSAUM, It's a sweet shooter. Except for brain shots the hogs run a bit. I am thinking an Alaskan brush Savage in 375 RCM so I dont have to chase them down. All ideas welcome.

Your Pal,
    Texas Hill Country Tom

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I to don't like tracking hogs so this is the way I went.

Bolt action = 338 RCM (A 325 WSM necked up to 338 ) factory ammo is available. I built mine on a mod 7 Remington for a handy/compact carry and it will roll them shot behind the shoulder.

AR15 = For fast follow up shots I went with the 450 bushmaster. It uses a 250 grain bullet @ over
    2200 ft/sec for almost 2800 ft/lbs energy. I have a green illuminator laser for night hunting and
    this thing is a hammer.

I was tired of having to make head shots (Especially Running) and have been very happy with
    these two rifle combinations.

J E CUSTOM

3. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I've used the 375 calibers from the 375 Winchester up with good results on bear. Back when we could bait the kids used a #3 in the 375 Winchester, dead in, or close to the bait was the norm.
    The 35 Whelen, or one of the 44 magnum carbines, also worth a look. Good Luck

4. mitchell

mitchell Well-Known Member

450 bushmaster!!! that with a 20 round mag and a pack of hogs is the most fun you can have with your clothes on