Need a New Scope -Help me Spend $$$

bweber

Hey folks. I have a 270Wby that I had a 28" Krieger target barrel put on for longer range stuff. (Not seriously long range, but out to 500 yds, maybe 600 if I get to practice more.) I had a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x on it. But I didn't care for the reticle style (too heavy) and thought I might go up in power to the 6-24x range. So I need to replace it and am looking for ideas.

My budget's around $500 to $600 (maybe could go a tad higher if there's something that warrants it). At the moment the contenders are a Leupold VX-III in 6.5-20x40 with the varmint reticle and the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 with the 30mm tube. I like the Leupold because I've generally had good luck with them, and I have a VX-III 3.5-10x40 on another rifle that I really like. But the Bushnell seems like a lot of scope for the money. (Have to admit that I don't really like the reticle with all the Mildots. They make it look cluttered to me.)

So, I have a couple of questions. These two scopes represent different views on the bullet drop reticle vs. target knobs and elevation adjustment for longer ranges. I'd be curious to hear what people think from a hunting perspective. It seems to me like it would be easier to just range the target and then put the correct crosswise on it rather than fiddling with the elevation turret. Second, am I correct in my understanding that the only benefit of a 30mm tube is that it allows for more elevation adjustment?

Finally, I had heard that the Leupold side parallax adjustments were trickier to work with than the AO's are. Does anyone have experience with them? Is that true?

Thanks,

Ben

You won't go wrong either way. If it were me, I'd get the Bushnell just because it has turrets. Send me an email and I'll get you a price for both as well as for a few others.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.