Need a New Priming Tool: Which One to Buy?

Troy

Need to buy a new priming tool. I was using a Lee before and would like something with a tray so I do not have to handle each primer separately. What is everyone using or wished the were using?

Troy,
I use the RCBS handheld that takes the APS plastic primer strips and it is pretty good. Has a universal caseholder, don't have to switch anything. Also have the benchmounted APS tool and the one that takes primer tubes both are fine but not handheld and they take shell holders. I use the handheld much more. Loading the APS strips is simple and doesn't take much time. They might take a little more time to set-up than a primer tray but not a lot.
Sinclair makes a super little unit but it is one primer at a time. I have worn out two or three Lees, seem to break after a certain amount of use and that is that. **** potmetal can only do so much.
The RCBS is holding up much longer than I got out of the Lees. I also had a machinist make me a handheld stainless steel rig that uses the Lee trays, it will last forever, nice feel and heavy, takes Lee shell holder heads. If you are ever over here give me a shout.

K & M makes a good one--double punch sleeve squares the head up and seating stem seats primer, head completely adjustable for depth, uses Lee auto-prime shell holders--$40. Probably last forever.

Troy

I like the Sinclair unit, it is very well made and give me better feel than the other units. It is more expensive, but a joy to use.
smile.gif

Si, if I may...

I have been looking at the Sinclair model off and on for some time, but have had the big drawback over single-primer feeding. Can you perhaps tell me, in you opinion, how MUCH of a pain is it? Does it really slow a fellow down that much? I would like more sensitivity of feel; the RCBS unit I have now is ok; it IS fast, but...particularly with small rifle primers, I am not getting optimum results, I feel. Thanks much.

Dave

DAVE

My best guess is it slows me down about 5 seconds a case, and you would have to be the judge on whether that is a lot or a little. I will say that the 'Feel' is second to none.

Always nice to come back to the computer and have several responses to a question. I will have to give my options some thought. I really do not like the idea of single priming although I am aware of the added safety feature. I have never had a primer detonate while seating and I hope I never do. I never put a bunch of primers on the tray at once but I am sure ten primers would be enough to seriously harm an individual. Thanks to all who replied.

All the best in the New Year.

Thank you, S1, appreciate you commenting on that. Well, five seconds times a hundred is five hundred seconds <scratching his head>, which is a little more than eight minutes. I suppose I could sacrifice that.
grin.gif
I waste a lot more time than that getting out of bed each morning! I assume the push rods are tight-fitting?

dave

I have two, one for small and one for large. Both of these units have very well fit push rods and square ends.

Those with the sinclair hand primer, isn't it a pain in the butt to load one primer at a time? I like the speed of a primer tray.

Thank you, S1; hell, I didn't know they came one for each, par se`, although it DOES make sense. That's really MY biggest complaint with the RCBS unit; the centralizing of the push rods--they don't line up squarely with the primer's center, and, therefore, unorthadox feeding seems to be the result. I think the results are VERY noticable when shooting light charges of fast burning powders under light bullets, for close-range stuff with minimal noise. I can't prove anything because I don't have the means, but I have had some indications [purposely muffed up some primers in various ways], and the effects, from velocity to target dispersion, are pronounced.

Dave

I have a Sinclair and Lee. Like the Lee's speed, but the metal and shape is terrible. Im on my 3rd Lee. The Sinclair is a quality unit, but real slow. Im hoping someone could design a Sinclair with a tray, so you can have the best of both worlds.

A high speed sinclair would be really cool, but when I want to do a lot of cases, I just go to the Dillon 650.

For Ultra Long Range Ammo, we use the Sinclair. I do some things different than what conventional wisdom calls for in the primer pocket and flash hole areas, because we have proven that it makes ignition more consistent. This means less vertical dispersion, which is so important at Ultra LR. I think the feel of the sinclair allows me to cull certain cases by feel that normally would not be removed. In the same way, I like a small press with very little mechanical advantage for bullet seating, so I can feel the neck tension and how it varies as the bullet gets pressed in deeper and deeper.

The combination of these two feel type things, I believe help our stuff shoot very flat. Often in one hole at close range.

I have two, one for small and one for large. Both of these units have very well fit push rods and square ends.

Ditto...

I just checked... it takes 2.08123495 seconds to prime a case with the Sinclair tool :cool: Ok... I don't know what it takes... not long. I like the feel that the Sinclair tool gives me. The built in primer tool on my Forster press works well but it takes longer to use it imho.

I don't rush through my rifle ammo loading processes so I haven't given the time factor a thought. It wouldn't surprise me if it was 3 seconds or less per case.

I use a progressive press for pistol ammo. The most I've loaded with it (Dillon XL 650) was 700 and change rounds of .45 ACP in about an hour... the priming mechanism that comes with the Dillon press is pretty kick *** when used with the feed tube loading doo dad that they sell. Couple that with a case feeder and bullets come flying out of that thing :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.