Need a gunsmith who has time to build my rifle * Anyone interested?

BlueDolphin

I am looking for a gunsmith who can machine a 1.25" bull barrel for a long range rifle I am building. Or who can suggest to me what barrel to use for my new rifle.

The rifle will be based from an old hunting rifle that I have.

Here are the parts that I already have to work with:
Stock Remington 700BDL 7mm mag receiver (parkerized bolt).
Choate stock
Harris folding bi-pod
6-24x40mm Mil Dot scope (illuminated)
Rings - heavy duty/high quality

I can send some..... or all of the above for you to work with.

I will be shooting mostly target, but would like a rifle that I could take into the field for a very rare/occasional hunt, if you feel a barrel/rifle can be crafted to do both. If you don't feel that a barrel can be machined that will service both needs, than I want to go with a target barrel/rifle at this time.

I am considering a brake either threaded or machined depending on your recommendations.

The round that I will be most interested in shooting will be in the 168 grain flavor. So I was thinking 9-10" twist.

I am a novice to long range shooting, so by all means do not worry about offending me or hurting my feelings. I am open to your qualified suggestions.

As for length of barrel, I am wide open. 30"? Weight is not a concern on this particular rifle. Accuracy is.

I have a real desire to pursue learning and developing my long range shooting skills. I have had guns for a big part of my life, but fell away from the enjoyment of shooting. Long range shooting has sparked an excitement in me again!

I need a gunsmith who can help me to choose the right barrel, and who can put it all together for me.

Let me know what else you need.

Thanks for anyone who takes time to post.

I expect that I will have Kirby build me a gun sometime after the first of the year. Depends on tuition costs to get the last child out of the house. I am picking up pennies off the sidewalk to save up for it and stockpiling parts.

I really do not believe you can go wrong with Kirby, Shawn or Chris. We have all seen their guns shoot.

John Meyer with Custom Gunsmithing in Boise VA is an excellent gunsmith. He builds quite a few custom long range rigs and is pretty well known in the 1000 yard circle. His phone number is 540-837-2598. Good luck!

Shoot me an email, we've had 5 custom rifles built in the past 3 years and I will be happy to share the details with you.

Agunner012 @ aol(dot)com

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.