neco moly coating system

Tikkamike

I am thinking about ordering the neco Moly coating system. The benefits seem to be fairly numerous and aside from the process taking a while seems pretty easy. Lower pressures/higher velocities. Has anyone ever used the system or played with moly coated bullets and compared them to the same bullet non coated?

Lower pressures/higher velocities

With the same amount of powder Molied bullets will have less preasure and will be slower=You dump in more powder and the velocity goes up along with the preasure. Generaly you can get more velocity with Molly but it takes more powder to do so.
Used Moly years ago. In one 223 I got great velocity/accuracy and it would shot long strings between cleaning(4-500 rounds). Had good results with the 243 shootin mollied 55 grainers too.
BUT
#1 It was dirty and time consumeing to coat bullets
#2 The barrel had to be absolutly spotless before you start useing Moly!!!!!!!!
#3 Pretreating the barrel with molly seams to help
#4 You can not go back and forth between coated and uncoated bullets.
#5 If the barrel starts layering molly/copper/carbon the barrel is all but FUBARed.
#6 Moly can collect moisture and rust but I never saw a problem with SS barrels??

After loseing two barrels to buildup I have since just shot bare bullets though others are haveing good results with the new coatings (Boron Nitride, Tungsten Disulfide)

This article might help explain it better?

GUIDE to Bullet Coating

Moly Has too many problems for me to deal with in a Hunting Rile. I do not shoot enough rounds at 1 time for it to be anything but a problem. After cleaning a barrel I do not like to have to iron in the moly, without doing so can and will produce dissasterously high pressures. After cleaning and ironing, it can take up to a dozen rounds for the barrel to settle in. My Co-op of friends and I have an additional concern (true or not) we believe that there is evidence of hydraulic wedging and is responsible for splitting a few barrels!

Do you feel you could have saved the barrels from build up by more frequent cleaning? Or do you think its just the nature of the beast?

Little of both I think. The two barrels I had problems with had other problems=(very rough) The two barrels Moly workt good in where very smooth great shootin barrels to begin with.
I've been tempted to use Moly or one of the newer coating but just dont shoot the volume of rounds I used to. Years ago I chased (literaly, shot numerous states in a single weekend chasein dogs) 1000 round days doggin, these days if I go through a couple hundred rounds I'm just as well off :D

Moly has to be managed..
Easier and with similar benefit is Tungsten Disulphide(WS2).

No experience with Boron(HBN)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.