necking down

rokstockrangtang

I am in the process of taking a 375 ruger case down to .264,I was wondering if any body had some advice on how many steps i will need to do this.

Try one case and see if it will pull down in one pass. If not anneal just the neck on another case not the shoulder and try it again . If it still does not work well then you will need an additional step die .

That's a huge change. I would seek a forming die set for this one.
And unless you're greatly shortening the cartridge, your barrel life will be less than load development!

we have done this one we tried to do them in one step and it dont work. we step down to 338rcm 300rcm 7mm 6.5mm. i used the ruger compact dies to step down to 300 because of cost. we have a 7 lrm so that to 7mm and then the 6.5 ruger. i think you could get away with going from 300rcm to 6.5. as for barrel life i have 800 rounds in a 26in douglas barrel and i didnt shorten the case.

Guess I should have said 'accurate barrel life'.
A 6.5-284 holds ~66gr H20 capacity and it's pretty understood that it's good for 1200rnds of accuracy -tops.
A 264WM at 80gr H20 is good for way less.

Your 6.5-375 holds 99gr H20 capacity(33gr over the barrel burning 6.5-284)!!
I don't care if you've 'fired it' 8,000 rounds, the barrel was toast within a few hundred tops.

Attachments

• WayOverbore.jpg
    WayOverbore.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 89
Even if all 800 rounds were truly cold bore shots, I'm amazed the first few inches ahead of the chamber remain at all.
So I have a lot to learn.

Would you post your load?

mike as soon as i get back next week i will post the load . i do know it is h1000 with a 130 and a 215 primer. the load we use is at about 3400 and there is more there i have no sign of preasure. i also have 6.5 300 wbys and 6.5 stws and this runs in the same speed range and looks like it might get better barrel life my 6.5 wby gets about 900 to a barrel and the stw got 1000.and thoughs were both with 7828 this gun didnt like 7828 shot best with 1000 and 8700 the slower the better cant wait to try rl33. i have 4 for the 375 case wildcats and this one does not get used much.

so i couldn't stand it had to call and get you the load we started at 73 grs of h1000 and went up my load is 75 grs with a 130 accu bond. there is room to work on that in my gun. 700rem long action, 27in douglas barrel, gentry quite brake and axiom stock.

I neck my 375 down to 300 by using a .338 RCM and then a 300 SAUM. You might get away with .308 to .264 but that is a fairly big step. If you anneal the neck first, you will likely soften the shoulder as well and I wouldn't do that. I am amazed that your barrel life is that good with that kind of capacity and that short of neck to boot!.......Rich

I appreciate the feedback,i am not to concerned about barrel life the 2 guns i have slated for swapping the barrels out are not going to see that much shooting,i looked at doing this with the dakota cases before ruger/hornady came out with the 375,i thought these would work just as well.
These are gonna be call your "squeak"at 1000 yard guns and deer/elk medicine during the fall,anyways my thoughts are a pretty health dose of US-869 and 130 to 140 maybe even as heavy as 156gr woodliegh ought to do quite nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.