Necking .375 H&H Down for the .308 Baer?

smack

How do I go about this?,I know there is going to be a bit more involved in it than necking down a .340 Weatherby case.I was thinking about trying some .375 RWS brass.

Landon M.

I form my 308 Baer cases on RWS 375 brass by running them into a 338 Win RCBS neck die (expander removed), then through a Hornady "Universal" 30 cal die (also minus expander). Set the 30 cal die so the case will just chamber with a bit of pressure on the bolt handle. My first shot is sans bullet to form the case before I take anything off the neck.

I don't use the Redding 308 Baer FL die for the final step as it uses a neck button and it is not possible to size 100% of the neck down. If I did not need to turn the necks down, not being able to size 100% of the neck would not be such a big problem. I use these dies mainly because I had them on hand when I first formed the RWS brass and it worked for me.

Fergus

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.