Neck-Turning - What order to do?

Thanks Mike, altogether makes a compelling reason to outside turn all brass regardless to eliminate the thickening toward the neck/shoulder junction and eliminate the varying bullet grip from there to the mouth.

Do you size the case bodies at all? The reason I ask is because I use the Body Dies to decrease crush fits and push the shoulder back just a thousandth or so (when needed). When doing this, on all but one of my chambers this will size the case body also. On one of them, the 280AI, the Body Die does not size the case body (really tight chamber) and there is a little binding as discussed here

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/am-i-seeing-trend-hornady-brass-133728/

Do you get this binding at the pressure ring on cases with very little body taper? And if so, what do you do?

Do you size the case bodies at all? The reason I ask is because I use the Body Dies to decrease crush fits and push the shoulder back just a thousandth or so (when needed). When doing this, on all but one of my chambers this will size the case body also. On one of them, the 280AI, the Body Die does not size the case body (really tight chamber) and there is a little binding as discussed here
I normally use either Redding or JLC Precision body dies for shoulder bumping once I get there. I too set bump at 1-1.5thou. I do not size case bodies(cause dimensional changes).
Where a Redding does any more than squeeze the bodies, I send the die to JLC with a FF'd case for fitting.
For better cartridge designs(like an Ackley), the tighter the chamber to new brass dimensions, the lower the potential need for actual body sizing.
With a poorly designed cases(reloading-wise) like a 30-06, 270, 243, etc, you don't get an option for less than FL sizing. Not in the long run.

I choose better designs like 6br, 6xc, 6.5wssm. I would choose something like 6.5x47L, 260AI, or 7saum or WSM next. They hold high shoulder angles and low body tapers.
For my 26wssm, I set no more than 1thou total clearance from new(unfired) dimensions, and I changed shoulder angle to 35deg. This is tight neck(.291 chamber). I do not size these cases other than shoulder bumps(after 8 firings), not even neck sizing ,and I have over 30 reloads on them so far. My next chamber for this will take shoulders to 45deg and these same cases further improved will last the rest of my life, and probably the rest of my son's life, without any sizing.

Do you get this binding at the pressure ring on cases with very little body taper? And if so, what do you do?
During fire forming of brass, I monitor case web rings with a blade mic while stepping up charges to find My-Max. This max is the load point where body sizing would be required. That is, webs are yielding with xx.x charge. That's a point I never intend to reach again with that chamber, and it is usually just under SAMMI max for me(based on QuickLoad).
I know many people keep going, and they must body size, that's their choice.
My accuracy load in 26wssm is 3025fps w/LAP139s, 28" barrel, and I don't need or want any more from it. So why reach for a higher node, that probably doesn't shoot better, because of all the distortions happening throughout a gun at extreme pressures? Better to choose the right capacity for the goals, and better yet to choose it with a well designed cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts