Neck turning on a lathe

I would love to help you with your other question but I dont have any experience straightening them out yet. I setup a crude way to measure runout but get inconsistent results so gotta figure out something else. But in the meantime I'm going to trust what I've been told by JECustoms, that once the necks are turned, the chamber will bring the neck into alignment with the case body during fire forming.
And I'm going to just hope that does enough to get bullets loaded with minimal runout.

after you outside turn to true up the neck wall thickness .. they are still gonna have the same inside concentric errors they had before turning .. you usually have to fire them to straighten them all up ...

its after the next fire forming , that you see the gains in concentricity

but you get immediate ES/SD improvement

I do it this way too and love it. I can work just as fast as my RCBS hand tool with a drill. Much easier to adjust to final depth as well. Great option for those who have a lathe.

I set up a dial indicator on the carriage to cut to the same length every time. To push the case on and pull off ,I use the RCBS H adapter and thread it on a piece of stock. Much easier than dealing with a ram.

1580825935696.png

I do it this way too and love it. I can work just as fast as my RCBS hand tool with a drill. Much easier to adjust to final depth as well. Great option for those who have a lathe.

I set up a dial indicator on the carriage to cut to the same length every time. To push the case on and pull off ,I use the RCBS H adapter and thread it on a piece of stock. Much easier than dealing with a ram.

View attachment 173722
I never even knew this thing existed...gonna have toblook into that. Thank you for sharing.

Well my stuff to stretch the 6.5 necks out to 8mm and the pilot for the K&M cutter arrived. I upsized 32 two cases. Once they were sized I was able to turn the necks in ten minutes. I timed them on purpose for this thread.

By the way the neck expander thing K&M made allows me to up size them in two passes.

I found turning on the lathe for 6mm dasher brass very helpful as I could oversize and turn in one pass. Then I could neck down for the false shoulder. Once fired, the necks came out perfectly turned to length.

So rich, it sounds like you're running at a 3:1 rate over what I can do, so the K&M definitely has a place. One of these days I will get back out there and run all my 6.5cm that I need to finish and I can time it out and see if I can get that time down.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.