Neck turning for a factory action?

Doublezranch

I have neck turned and I haven't neck turned. I am wondering if it matters much in a factory action. I know it helps in a custom action but wondeing if its worth the time for a factory rifle.

What do you think?

Thanks to all!

Last edited:
I've never turned a neck; factory chambers are sloppy enough it doesn't matter. I don't use collet dies though. If I did, I would take off the high spots and not thin the neck.

I neck turn all my cases now for the reason that neck turning gets rid of any burrs and uneven necks making them more uniform and thereby ensuring even neck tension on all sides of the case. I adjust the cutter to only cut +-75% of the necks. After neck turning I measure all cases with a tube micrometer and sort them in batches of say 0.010", 0.011" and 0.012". You would still find that the necks have parts where it is thinner, but at least most of it is more uniform.

I turn competition brass, but do not think it is needed on hunting ammo. If you do turn for hunting use, just barely skim the necks so that they are even all around. When you finish, the neck should look like a barber's pole.

I don't think neck turning's worth the effort if they're spread's .0015" or less. Then only if you can discern accuracy differences of 1/8th MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.