Neck Sizing?

fj40mojo

I've always full length resized, but am considering trying neck sizing for my new 6.5x55 Swede when it comes back from the gunsmith. I checked into Hornady's neck sizers and noticed that they sell 2-standard and short. What's the difference and which do I need? Once I start neck sizing do I have to full length resize periodically? Does it really make a significant difference in accuracy?

Yes, you will have to FL size periodically or throw the brass away. The body will expand to the point it is hard to chamber.

Will it make a difference in accuracy? not routinely. Most BR shooters now are FL sizing, so what do you think?

IMO With a properly adjusted FL die, there is zero justification to NS, particularily if it means buying another die.

BH

Sizing is just what we HAVE TO DO for chambering, eventually.
Traditional FL sizing doesn't hurt if your die matches your fireformed ammo(minimal sizing). This just can't be assumed to happen by chance though.
It doesn't hurt to size the necks and body seperately either. I use Wilson neck sizing, and JLC body dies in 223, 6br, 6xc, and 6.5wssm. A couple of these are neck turned, and I never size more than a cal of the necks. Just no need to.

I've been very happy with body dies messaged by JLC. Similar to these:
6mmBR.com Reviews of Reloading tools, Bipods Harris Pod-loc, Cleaning Supplies, Redding Wilson Dies, K&M Tools, Neck turning Tools, Shooting Accessories and supplies.
His 6xc die compelled me to throw Tubb's in the trash. He recently cut a body die for my 6.5wssm with my finish reamer. Not sure how he does it, but my sizing perfectly matches my chambers. Around .001" under everywhere except the web, which I keep at .0005" under.

This is great provided your pressures are normal(55-65Kpsi). Brass lasts forever.
Point blank BR shooters run way higher pressures though, and must size the webs heavily or open the chamber there for reasonable extraction.
BR shooters also FL size because the bushing system we use today is a bit from perfect still. And a custom FL die will produce straighter ammo.
Does Hornady produce custom dies like these?
As implied, this does not happen by chance.

Sizing is just what we HAVE TO DO for chambering, eventually.
Traditional FL sizing doesn't hurt if your die matches your fireformed ammo(minimal sizing). This just can't be assumed to happen by chance though.
It doesn't hurt to size the necks and body seperately either. I use Wilson neck sizing, and JLC body dies in 223, 6br, 6xc, and 6.5wssm. A couple of these are neck turned, and I never size more than a cal of the necks. Just no need to.

I've been very happy with body dies messaged by JLC. Similar to these:
6mmBR.com Reviews of Reloading tools, Bipods Harris Pod-loc, Cleaning Supplies, Redding Wilson Dies, K&M Tools, Neck turning Tools, Shooting Accessories and supplies.
His 6xc die compelled me to throw Tubb's in the trash. He recently cut a body die for my 6.5wssm with my finish reamer. Not sure how he does it, but my sizing perfectly matches my chambers. Around .001" under everywhere except the web, which I keep at .0005" under.

This is great provided your pressures are normal(55-65Kpsi). Brass lasts forever.
Point blank BR shooters run way higher pressures though, and must size the webs heavily or open the chamber there for reasonable extraction.
BR shooters also FL size because the bushing system we use today is a bit from perfect still. And a custom FL die will produce straighter ammo.
Does Hornady produce custom dies like these?
As implied, this does not happen by chance.

Got a nod for the Wilson Sizer and Seater on another site I frequent. I'm not a competitive shooter by any means, just looking for 1/2MOA or maybe a little better from at least one rifle in my collection. I guess I'll see how it shoots when I get the Swede back and if I'm not happy with what it's doing I'll try the Wilson route. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.