Neck sizing

I quit neck sizing with conventional neck dies shortly afetr I got my first Lee collet neck die, that's all I use now. But I've never had a problem chambering huntin' ammo no matter how it was sized. I don't load hundreds of rounds of field ammo and it's quite easy to check each round for smooth feeding and chamber fit before packing it for a hunt. I've never had a failure to chamber anyway but it's comforting to know that before leaving home.

Is the button the expander ball? And if the expander ball is removed then how does the primer get knocked out?

Depends on which books you've been reading. Frankly, I don't know any successful competitive shooters who neck size, including (literally) the best in the world. Most of the writers who put such stuff out wouldn't be caught dead at such shoots, and have no idea what they're talking about. When Ohio Ordnance came out with their M1918A3 semi-auto BAR, one of those same gun writers (very well known, and from one of the more prominent gun magazines) promptly declared that it'd be, "the perfect rifle to use in Service Rifle competition at Camp Perry." The guy clearly had no idea what constitutes a Service Rifle, has never attended a high power match of any type, and probably couldn't even find Camp Perry on a map.

Sticking to those who both write, and actually compete (a very small club, I assure you), you'll never hear any of them recommend Neck Sizing.

That's a very unclear post mate . So are you saying that nobody neck sizes ever ??

You have failed to use a few key words that make sense of the post .
What competition shooters do is related to time constraints and using custom made dies and things that don't affect some other shoooters so what they do is not always relevant to what is best for the average reloader who is buying standard off the shelf dies .
If the die is well matched to the chamber and adjusted to give perfect case fit then it can be don e all in one go but the avereage shooter will not be able to buy a die off the shelf with that kind of custom fit . The best solution for them is seperate neck and body sizing

Is the button the expander ball? And if the expander ball is removed then how does the primer get knocked out?
Yes, expander balls are sometimes called "buttons."

Remove the expander ball and replace it with a smaller caliber one. Or, deprime fired cases in a separate die. I've always deprimed fired cases in a separate die in an old junk press before cleaning them so the powder and primer residue wouldn't get into the sizing dies and the good press using them.

If the die is well matched to the chamber and adjusted to give perfect case fit then it can be done all in one go but the avereage shooter will not be able to buy a die off the shelf with that kind of custom fit.
Exactly what is a "die well matched to the chamber?" In my mind, that means the die's inside dimensions are exactly the same as the chamber. The only way that can happen is the same reamer that makes the die is used to make the chamber in the barrel. I don't see how such a die will resize any part of a fired case when set in the press with the same die headspace relative to the shellholder as the chamber headspace has from its shoulder to the bolt face.

And what is a "perfect case fit" relative to the chamber? Does that mean the case dimensions are exactly the same as the chamber dimensions?

Is that perfect fit of case to chamber the only way to get the bullet well aligned with the bore to get best accuracy?

Exactly what is a "die well matched to the chamber?" In my mind, that means the die's inside dimensions are exactly the same as the chamber.
This is only true of seater dies. For sizing, 'well matched to the chamber' means minimal sizing to achieve correct fit to a particular chamber.

The only way that can happen is the same reamer that makes the die is used to make the chamber in the barrel.
I've had several seating dies made this way. JLC Precision, and most die makers, will polish out sizing dies to match fire formed cases.
I've also had sizing die blanks cut with my sizing reamers, which I order with rough and finish reamers as a set.
Reamers are not expensive, and if you like a chambering, and plan to replace barrels now & then, it pays to hold your own.

And what is a "perfect case fit" relative to the chamber? Does that mean the case dimensions are exactly the same as the chamber dimensions?
Of course it doesn't. You're not making sense Bart.

Is that perfect fit of case to chamber the only way to get the bullet well aligned with the bore to get best accuracy?
Just how would anyone know this?

What is possible, with a plan, is the making of straight ammo that fits a chamber with minimal clearances, holding matching capacity for more reloading cycles, and without issue. Also, this ammo, taken exactly as described, will never demonstrate as less accurate.

This is only true of seater dies. For sizing, 'well matched to the chamber' means minimal sizing to achieve correct fit to a particular chamber.

I've had several seating dies made this way. JLC Precision, and most die makers, will polish out sizing dies to match fire formed cases.
I've also had sizing die blanks cut with my sizing reamers, which I order with rough and finish reamers as a set.
Reamers are not expensive, and if you like a chambering, and plan to replace barrels now & then, it pays to hold your own.

Of course it doesn't. You're not making sense Bart.

Just how would anyone know this?

What is possible, with a plan, is the making of straight ammo that fits a chamber with minimal clearances, holding matching capacity for more reloading cycles, and without issue. Also, this ammo, taken exactly as described, will never demonstrate as less accurate.

Right on mate.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.