Neck Bushing Dies for 6.5x284 Savage F Class???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gbraach, Jan 24, 2008.

1. gbraach

gbraach Member

I have a new 6.5x284 Savage F Class on its way. Now I am trying to figure out what size neck bushings I need to order.

Any one have any experience with this rifle?

Thanks in advance
    gary

2. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

Neck bushing size is more about the brass you are going to use than the rifle they are going in. Different brands of brass have very different neck wall thickness. Assuming you are NOT turning necks you need to determine the diameter of the neck of your chosen brass with a bullet in it. Then most people will size the neck .002 to .003 smaller depending on the thickness of the brass and the tension that places on the bullet. I would probably order both.
    Dave

3. gbraach

gbraach Member

Once again db, thanks for helping out! I hope you are having as much fun helping the newbie as I am getting into this sport!

I am using new Lapua brass that measures any where from .015 to .016 inches on different points around the case neck. I plan on turning off .001 inches leaving a uniform .015 thickness. According to a formula I find online I double that number and add it to the bullet diameter and then subtract .001:

.030 + .264 - .001 = .293

So my plan is to get a .293 bushing. So am I on track here?

Thanks
    gary

4. long450

long450 Well-Known Member

That sounds about right. You should order +1 and -1 bushings to allow for fine tuning the grip on the bullet. It will save you some grief.

5. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

The formula looks good but I always like to measure a few rounds after I have done all of the steps to make sure something doesn't need to change. Suppose when you actually turn the necks you end up with most of them at .014 to clean them up. If you need to get the bushings before you can load any thing I would get a .293 and a .292. Also if you are using a magazine you may need more neck tension to keep the recoil from pushing the bullets back into the necks of the rounds in the magazine.
    Dave