Neck and body die sequence

Kalashnikov

I have a Type S die set from redding which includes a bushing neck die and a body die (which does not touch the neck). What is the sequence of using these dies, when the time comes to bump the shoulder and/or size the body ?

Do I size the neck first and then bump the shoulder, or bump the shoulder followed by neck sizing ?

I posted this question over at 6mmbr, at was advised by a helpful gent on the following:

"You should experiment a little before deciding on a sequence. It all depends on how much you need to bump and how much you need to body size. There are situations where bumping will cause the body (shoulder diameter) to expand and, conversely, squeezing the body down will cause the shoulder to squirt forward. Sizing the neck should have no effect on the shoulder or body and can be done last. Strip the bolt so that you have a good feel for what is happening. When things don't seem to be working out, blacken a case with a magic marker and chamber it. That will tell you what part of the case needs work."

Last edited:
"I suppose that type of question was better suited to a entirely different forum - Noted !"

Sorry you were disappointed here.

So, your final answer on the other board was, basically, "Experiment a little and learn the answer for yourself?"

In our defence, let me say that not everyone has every answer and not everyone here spends his life on the web. It might take more than three days for a loader with the specific knowledge a poster needs to even find the question. ???

I figured the question may of been answered here in the question about arbor press dies.

You neck size at some point cases will start to get hard to chamber so you use the body die which act as the FL sizing die. If you use the body die every time you should buy the Redding Type S FL die and save a reloading step on 6br site outfit called JLC changes the Redding body die over to a bushing die.

Sequence:

Sir, I apologize for slow response but the exact and correct answer , directly from the manufacturer, is body die first then neck size. Cordially, Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.