Necessary sleep system clothing

Litehiker

Most of us have "sleep socks", a heavy pair only for use in our sleeping bags.

Some of us use head coverings. I've found my best piece of sleep clothing is a light polyester fleece balaclava. It stays on and keeps my head and neck warm even in 10 F. temps. The head and neck do not have vasoconstriction in the blood vessels so act as a radiator in the cold. That is the part of your body that always gives off the most heat. (I can also use the balaclava it during the day if the weather gets extreme.)

In the morning it's the last item of clothing I shed when getting dressed for the day. Often I keep it on during breakfast and until I'm ready to hunt. If it's cold, snowing hard or very cold and windy it stays on all day.
It weighs very little and goes in a cargo or coat pocket, ready if needed in a snow storm. For an unexpected night away from camp it makes the night more bearable as i sit around my fire and wait for dawn.

I also have a light fleece zip T-neck shirt for cold weather sleeping along with a pair of medium weight long john pants. And, believe it of not, wearing a pair of thin glove liners when sleeping also helps.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I've switched to using a Nalgene water bottle instead of a bladder. I recently tried going barefoot in the bag overnight. I wanted to see if my feet were somehow in better condition the next day without the slight constriction of socks overnight. I boil some water and put it in the bottle and keep it anywhere in the bag I want some warmth. It stays warm about 7 hours and never gets below body temperature. My feet felt fine all night. For headgear around camp and sleeping overnight, I use one of those inexpensive mad bomber hats with the rabbit fur on inside of the ear flaps. It snaps under your chin and turns with your head so it doesn't bunch up. Very warm, comfy and muffles wind noises for a restful sleep. I suppose if you needed to justify the weight of the hat, you could always carry your Chihuahua in it.

For me = 12 degree down bag, a down jacket, thermal pants, + 1 for heavy socks only used in the bag, light gloves, and a beanie. Some combo of those have kept me comfortable in some pretty chilly stuff. Also a good sleeping pad can never be underrated, seems like anytime I've ever been cold its come from underneath me.

I used a foam matt under my sleeping bag on my Alaska caribou hunt, and it helped keep you warm. It's also lightweight, and provided a cushion on the cold ground. Temps were below freezing, but don't know how cold, the river by the banks would get iced up at night.

Huntsman,
No you're not dead but having a dog sleep against your head would make it a more comfortable night. (Don't forget a flea collar - for yourself.)

Sleep Socks? Well heavy sleep socks are nice when you have to throw on yer boots at o dark thirty for a pee. And they are nice when you sleep too, plus they keep yer bag from getting stinky and skanky.

Eric B.

D@ymn! You had to go and call my bluff. Hee, hee
Nice looking dog. They help warm the tent.

And a nice cow elk too. The meat also tastes less gamey than bull elk.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.