Nebraska early season elk hunt, part 1

Got a call that the meat is ready to pick up, going to have some elk stakes on the barbie this week

And twice a day every day for the rest of the year. I was getting my gear ready to go again and looked in the freezer to see how much room there was, and it was still full of meat. As best I can figure it out there is enough meat on an elk to have elk every day and still have some left at the end of the year. Of course it doesn't help things when one person is on a no red meat diet and the other two are trying to lose wieght. I ground up and re-frooze 22 pounds of ground elk, deer and auodad, being as it stacks better and takes up less room. I think I have about another 30-40 pounds that I will work over early next week.

Kirby,

First, though I have no need to say this to you because you know it very well, there is NO need to apologize for shooting a high fence elk. Anyone who wants to use the "You bought it" argument should be invited to follow along on your next hunt and see if THEY still feel like you simply bought it!

One of my friends spent 6 weeks scouting elk last year, found a HUGE Oregon/Washington border bull in his area, only to have the bull flushed once the section was closed for scouting by a game wardens son on a 4 wheeler. He never found it on his hunt, but one of the farmers living close by told him what had happened.

He hunted the section, never seeing a bull, then 2 hours before closing, on his walk out, saw a big animal bedded down in some bushes. He got in close and found it was a 6x6 bull, which he promptly took. As he was taking pictures, he realized the bull had bedded down in the brush just 10 feet from the edge of a wheat field. They literally picked him up, moved him 10 feet and then drove a pickup to him! It wasn't the 7x7 he had hoped for, but it was a great elk. AND, he didn't have to haul him out! His elk was a lot easier to harvest than the high fence elk you got, and his was a natural, wild hunt!

As for your Dad, I'll be happy to be the first to contribute to a "Kirby's Dad Elk Hunt fund". I feel the same about my dad as you obviously do yours, and know my own sacrificed for his kids. He doesn't hunt, but we enjoy shooting together.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for your comments. High fence hunts can be as hard or as easy as you want, just depends on the ranch you book with.

I have seen many wild elk hunts that were no more difficult then shooting beef in a field. Would I complain about that, certainly not!!!:D

Again, thanks for your kind words. Working on some video and hopefully soon will have some for you guys to see.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.