Nebraska/Dakotas

NWPA0311

I don't see too much here about deer hunting Nebraska or the Dakotas. They are withing reasonable driving distance from me which also makes them appealing. I'm really looking to expand my hunting skills however I have never hunted either of these states. Tags appear to be reasonably easy to obtain but the lack of public land may be an issue.

I'm looking for any info you guys are willing to share. I have no interest in poaching anyone's honey holes, simply looking for some info. I'd also be willing to help out on a ranch for a week in exchange for the opportunity to hunt or tag along on a hunt and learn. Paying a trespass fee isn't out of the question either. I'm an 8 year USMC Veteran and a city police officer in western PA, not looking to swindle anyone here. Just looking to head west for deer. Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi,

Josh

I don't see too much here about deer hunting Nebraska or the Dakotas. They are withing reasonable driving distance from me which also makes them appealing. I'm really looking to expand my hunting skills however I have never hunted either of these states. Tags appear to be reasonably easy to obtain but the lack of public land may be an issue.

I'm looking for any info you guys are willing to share. I have no interest in poaching anyone's honey holes, simply looking for some info. I'd also be willing to help out on a ranch for a week in exchange for the opportunity to hunt or tag along on a hunt and learn. Paying a trespass fee isn't out of the question either. I'm an 8 year USMC Veteran and a city police officer in western PA, not looking to swindle anyone here. Just looking to head west for deer. Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi,

Josh

NW, I've seen pics of some really nice mule deer taken from western Nebraska. Have you checked with Cabelas outfitting, also Nebraska game and fish website? Good luck

I think Nebraska and South Dakota have OTC archery tags for muleys and whitetails. North Dakota is a draw for muleys but OTC for archery whitetails. I would grab an archery tag for South Dakota and head to the west side of the state. Some decent public to hunt and decent bucks out there

First, Thanks for your service as a member of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children,and as a police officer.I haven't hunted NE or ND,but I've hunted South Dakota quite a bit. I concentrate on West River tags. I have hunted mainly around Kadoka-Murdo area because we new some people but that changed and now we try for Black Hills areas from NE border to ND. I've hunted out of Hill City in years past, the deer are somewhat smaller but the country is beautiful! Easy to get lost tho...friends of mine chased a motorcycle cop for eight hours cuz he just wouldn't stop walking. Bigger deer can be found North and South of this area but up along the ND border access is a big issue. County extension agents might help with contacts if your willing to put in some sweat equity. Best of luck to you!

I have spent two years hunting SD. I will be there this year possibly with an over the counter tag. I personally haven't taken down a big whitetail out there.I've tagged out everytime, two 6x6 mulies and two nice whitetail in comparison to what we are used to on the east coast. I've also had multiple 170+ bucks get away(whitetail). If you can get 5-7 days out there, you you won't regret it. Deer are plentiful. I won't even shoot the first couple days unless it's a monster, because you get a lot of opportunities.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts