Nebraska Crossbow Hunting Okayed for Big Game

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission has approved wider use of crossbows for big-game hunting in the state.

NORFOLK, Neb. (AP) — The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission has approved wider use of crossbows for big-game hunting in the state.

Crossbows had been limited during archery season to people with permanent disabilities that prevented them from using bows and arrows. At their meeting Thursday in Norfolk, the commissioners opened up crossbow use during firearm and bow season to all hunters, starting in 2011.

Nebraska big game include deer, antelope, elk, turkey and bighorn sheep. The board also raised or otherwise changed fees for lodging, camping and related visitor services at state parks, recreation areas and historical parks.

Seems to be a treand...

Len,
Md and Pa both went to allowing crossbows for their archery seasons. Both were medical permit only prior to this year. Md is very liberal with their deer limits 10 doe and 2 bucks in bow, rifle and muzzleloader EACH season, 36 total! in the Central/Eastern counties. None of the other seasons count against the others limits and doe tags are free only paying for the extra bucks. You have to take 2 does before taking an extra buck. 'Ya think the insurance companies have anything to do with this??!

Pa is still 1 buck per year any season and 3 does if you can get the timing correct for the permits and over a million licensed hunters per year.

I've been shooting a crossbow over 8 years now and we need NY to get on the wagon next.

Last edited:
I never shot a crossbow before this year. It's fun to see that I am starting right at a historic time -- when states are realizing that crossbows are ok.

It really created a big stink in the NE bowhunting community, but I'm glad they decided to allow it. The same thing happened when G&P decided to allow scopes on muzzle loaders. The sky didn't fall and Dec. MZ season didn't turn into a wild west free-for-all.

My only complaint is we're allowed two antlered deer per year. CB+Rifle+MZ=3, now how in the heck am I supposed to decide? :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.